1. We had some issues with updating / uploading the avatars. We _think_ we have fixed the problem. Please try it for yourself and see if you can change your avatar (if you want a new one that is :)) Otherwise, please keep reporting problems in the official thread. Thank you! :)
    Dismiss Notice

GlassD's REAL Football Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GlassD, Mar 14, 2009.

1. A.tab

A.tab It was the best of times, ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Ten Years of Phun

Chelsea target Neymar wants to become the best player in the world without leaving Brazil, according to Santos president Luis Alvaro de Oliveira Ribeiro.;)
    Neymar, 19, has been linked with a number of top clubs around Europe and Chelsea have made a number of bids over the last year, but Real Madrid are now thought to be a more likely destination.

However, Neymar has said on numerous occasions that he would be happy to stay at Santos, and Ribeiro believes he will stay until after the 2014 World Cup and become the first player outside Europe to be named the world's top player by FIFA.

"I imagine there will be many tempting offers, but I'm talking to Neymar a lot and he's focusing on becoming the best player in the world while still playing in Brazil, on becoming a pioneer," he told Terra. "He would change everything that way.

2. haydaddict

haydaddict Smiley King ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

That's either improbable or impossible to happen!

3. Flippy

Flippy Cant It Be Both? Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

love that player since im a Valenciafan but that amount of money is too much.

4. rappy

rappy just a filthy mudblood ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Santos have confirmed that five clubs have met Neymar's release clause of €45million (£40.3million) and they have been given permission to talk with the Brazilian sensation.

The clubs are understood to be Real Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea, Manchester City and Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala.

It was previously believed that Real and Chelsea, who have been tracking Neymar for years, were leading the chase with the Spaniards in pole position.

But now it has emerged that they are not alone in the race for his signature, with Barca and City also showing their hand.

The outsiders of the five are Anzhi Makhachkala - although they have plenty of finances and they would hope their current Brazilian contingent, which includes Roberto Carlos, could help push a deal through.

Now the clubs in question are set for talks, according to Santos president Luis Alvaro de Oliveira Ribeiro.

"We don't want to sell the player, but of course there is a release clause in his contract that can be paid and five European clubs have offered to match the clause," ESPN Brasil.

"I cannot name them because there is an agreement between Santos and the clubs, but they are the most important European clubs.

"They have asked to speak to the player and obviously we've allowed them to.

"The clubs have behaved ethically. They sought out Santos first and were willing to pay the clause. With this ethical approach, they can talk to anyone - with Neymar's father, with [agent] Wagner Ribeiro, and with the representatives of Neymar."

Ribeiro also took time to have a dig at Chelsea over their previous attempt to land the 19-year-old.

"Last year, Chelsea's attitude was different. Their first action was to seek out the player's representatives," he stated.

He also remains confident that, after helping Santos lift the Copa Libertadores earlier this month, he could stay put and reject the move to Europe.

"These clubs can come along and make their offerings, but if he wants to stay at Santos he can say no and continue at Santos," he concluded.

5. Funkyboyroy

Funkyboyroy PG and Yayboobies Bitch ! Ten Years of Phun

:lol: :lol: :lol:

6. elturko78

elturko78 Treu Anarchist

:rolleyes:

He's not that good.

7. rappy

Ipswich have accepted a bid of £9m from Sunderland for striker Connor Wickham, BBC Sport understands.

Wickham, 18, could be a Sunderland player in 24 hours, subject to agreeing personal terms and passing a medical.

The deal for the England Under-21 international, who made his Ipswich debut aged 16, could eventually be worth £12.5m with add-ons.

He has been linked with a number of Premier League clubs, including Tottenham and Liverpool.

His future has been in doubt despite the fact that he extended his contract with Ipswich until 2014 in April.

Wickham was included in the England squad for the European Under-21 Championship but he did not make an appearance.

Since joining Ipswich as a trainee in July 2008 he has made 37 first-team starts and come off the bench 35 times, scoring a total of 15 goals.

In May 2010 Wickham helped England to victory in the European Under-17 Championship, scoring the winning goal as they beat Spain 2-1 in the final.

Ipswich manager Paul Jewell said last week that he expected a lot of interest in Wickham over the summer but that the club were under no pressure to sell.

8. Mo

Mo LFC 4 Life ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Seems like Pepe Reina wont be going anywhere :)
    Tho there is word that Sammy Lee is on his way out of Liverpool tho.

But to be honest he wasn't really needed anymore.

To me Steve Clarke has had more input into the side since his arrival and there's no point having two assistants for the same role

Thanks for all the years Sammy

9. essential

essential Valar Dohaeris Ten Years of Phun ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i don't get all the attention about Neymar, what has he reached so far, i don't think he's that great tbh....

10. A.tab

A.tab It was the best of times, ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Ten Years of Phun

Former Manchester City captain Mike Doyle has died at the age of 64.

Doyle was part of the City team which won the league title, FA Cup, European Cup Winners' Cup and the League Cup between 1968 and 1970, and skippered the side which won the League Cup again in 1976.

He made over 550 appearances for the Blues before moving on to Stoke, Bolton and then Rochdale, and won five England caps.

Dennis Tueart, who scored the winning goal for City in the 1976 final, told Sky Sports News: "It was a great shock this morning - I didn't know he was ill.

11. lil' wutz

lil' wutz U can't touch this Ten Years of Phun

[​IMG]

Germany & England now infront of Brazil, Argentina lost 5 places and is now on 10. I'm surprised by Norway and Montenegro!

2 people like this.
  12. haydaddict

Not even in women they dont have a good goalkeeper in England??? :confused:

13. haydaddict

Now with COPA AMERICA the table will change!

14. essential

essential Valar Dohaeris Ten Years of Phun ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

not much probably, not alot of countries who play there are in the top 10 ^^
    maybe the others will change a bit tho :p

15. rappy

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. rappy

[​IMG]

17. rappy

[​IMG]

18. Flippy

eventough i hate city they have my sincerest condolences in their loss.

19. Flippy

[youtube]gymr9NMT3_I[/youtube]

If you are like me and havent seen any footage of the new United goalie i give you the compilation above.

1 person likes this.
  20. rappy

Sky Sports sources understand Manchester City are closing in on a £20million swoop for Arsenal star Samir Nasri, while their deal for Gael Clichy is also nearly done.

The French midfielder has been heavily linked with a move away from Emirates Stadium this summer, with a host of top European clubs thought to be chasing his signature.

He has yet to put pen to paper on a new contract in North London, with his current terms set to expire next year.

Manchester United were previously tipped as frontrunners to secure Nasri's signature, but it seems big-spending local rivals City have now taken pole position in the race to sign him.

The Blues are also reportedly close to capturing Arsenal left-back Clichy, while Gunners captain Cesc Fabregas is expected to leave this summer, meaning manager Arsene Wenger could be left without several of his key players next season.