1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Taptalk

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by toxiclabs, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Cold As Ice

Cold As Ice Master of Solid Water Ten Years of Phun

Adding things like taptalk is something Cayne must do and not a mod. The mods don't know what Cayne is willing to add. If you want to know more it's better you send Cayne a pm.

2. ItsLunchBOX

ItsLunchBOX ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Isn't part of the mods job to interface with Cayne? I don't understand why you keep popping into every thread regarding this topic to not add anything to the conversation.
    Every time it comes up it just seems like you want to come in and tell everyone how it isn't important. I get it man, you could care less about the functionality, others have been waiting for years.

3. Green Bastard

Green Bastard feels good man

Regardless of whether Phun adds it, can I ask what you like best about Tapatalk compared with just a mobile theme for a site? I have no say in the matter and I'm not arguing or saying you shouldn't like it, I'm just curious as somebody who makes sites. Plus, laying out the specifics of why you like it may help spur some action.

Is it just the theme? Do you check many other forums and want them all under the same roof with the same experience? etc...

This is a good point. You are basically giving full read/write permissions to a 3rd party. The concerning part to me is mentioned in a thread at another forum. If they've rewritten as much code as that thread suggests, then you have to worry about the security and functionality of two different systems.

I'm not saying it's a dealbreaker and I know that plenty of forums use it. I just mean that there seem to be a number of pros and cons that would make me consider it carefully. Adding the plug-in takes 10 minutes, but considering the potential repercussions, not just for security but also advertising, isn't as easy.

And from the other Tapatalk thread mentioned, for the sake of not bumping it:

Do you just mean make it so pics can't be so large that they overflow the page/layout? If so, that's just a line or so of CSS:

Code:
    .content img { max-width: 100%; height: auto; }
    Or if you want a specific size rather than just the size of the container:

Code:
    .content img { max-width: 500px; height: auto; }
    And, if you don't want to wait for somebody to add that css, you can add it yourself as a userstyle.

4. ItsLunchBOX

ItsLunchBOX ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Mostly this. You can also bookmark/subscribe/favorite sub forums that you frequent. All contained in one easy to use app instead of having to deal with bookmarks on mobile browsers. You can have all unread threads/posts filtered on one page for a forum which may spur more people to look at other sub forums and participate in discussions (like in the lounge for instance). A couple of extremely large forums that I am also a member on support tapatalk functionality and I have never heard of any downside to supporting it or problems that have arisen due to it's use (not that it couldn't happen).

Bottom line is that is it a super easy app to use that allows you to access multiple forums for within the same app without having to jump all over the place or manage a bunch of bookmarks in a mobile browser.

1 person likes this.
  5. Green Bastard

Green Bastard feels good man

Cool, thanks. Do you tend to favor native apps over (mobile optimized) websites in general, aside from Tapatalk? Or is it just the forum use-case where you prefer a native app?

6. ItsLunchBOX

ItsLunchBOX ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I suppose it depends on how good the native app is. For example, I used to use the mobile Facebook website because the android app was complete garbage. In the last year or so I started using the app because they made it much better.

As long as the app is simple to use typically it is faster to just launch the app to get to the site vs. Opening a browser then going to a bookmark or searching for the site.

Most mobile apps for websites are pretty decent now.

1 person likes this.
  7. Cold As Ice

If it's that important for you you should ask Cayne himself, members are free to ask him. Why wait for a mod to contact him while you can do it yourself. Couple days ago the yzus09by ad was slowing down Phun so i send Cayne a pm with a screenshot and little later i got an answer from him that he was working on it.

8. Cold As Ice

When i posted that autoresize wasn't on Phun, now it is. Now when you hotlink a big pic it will be scaled down to fit page

1 person likes this.
  9. S-type

S-type Cogito, ergo sum Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member

I've enabled the vBulletin "Default Mobile Style" for those browsing on Mobiles - does that help or hinder?

10. ItsLunchBOX

ItsLunchBOX ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

It doesn't hinder but it isn't the same as tapatalk.

11. S-type

Of course not, but I noticed it wasn't enabled, so I thought it might help. cayne is the only one that can load/install vBulletin hacks/add-ons on phun.org.
    I think tapatalk has been suggested every year since 2010, so it clearly isn't one of his priorities. Some might go so far as to suggest that phun.org itself isn't one of his priorities!

12. ItsLunchBOX

ItsLunchBOX ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

That's too bad. You would think he would want to at least try some stuff to see if site traffic and collaboration would improve. Not saying that would happen for sure but more people may visit during the work day if it was easier from a mobile device.

13. S-type

1 person likes this.
  14. ItsLunchBOX

ItsLunchBOX ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

15. ItsLunchBOX

ItsLunchBOX ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Oh my god! You guys enabled tapatalk! I love you all!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

16. Perfect4ths

Perfect4ths Hell is empty. All the Devils are here! ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Polls Champion 2023

Tried using it, doesn't like my Phun username/password combo

17. ItsLunchBOX

ItsLunchBOX ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Really? Worked for me first time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

18. cayne

cayne Guest

Worked for me too?! :/

19. beruud

beruud Twatwaffle Ten Years of Phun

installed this morning and very impressed. Works great for me, and I use a HTC DNA and a craptacular droid tablet.

1 person likes this.
  20. beruud

beruud Twatwaffle Ten Years of Phun

I uninstalled tap a while ago. The images took forever to load in it. :( I liked it too... but when I want to look at 6-7 threads and it will take me 20 minutes on tap, I ended up never using it... just use my firefox droid browser and it flies.