1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Spoiler - new BBCode tag

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by Green Bastard, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Green Bastard

Green Bastard feels good man

We added a new code tag today for spoilers. Any content you wrap in a spoiler tag will be hidden by default and people will have to click a button to see it. You may have seen it on other boards with the point being to hide spoilers for movie and tv show plots. But other uses may become evident as time goes on. If you like it, thank spiderswims for suggesting it :)

To use it you can either manually type the spoiler beginning and end tags or use the button [​IMG] in the "go advanced" editor to wrap them automatically. For instance, this:

[​IMG]

Will give you this:

I really liked the surprise ending when—who could've guessed—the protagonist defeats evil, gets the girl, and everybody is happy.

Images, lists, and all other BBCodes work too

[​IMG]

Also, we've had this for a while but I don't think I mentioned anything, there's a tag for strikethrough text. The del tag (for delete) will [del]put a line through[/del] the text. There's no button for it, though. You'll just have to type it on the rare occasion you might need it.

13 people like this.
  2. Billy Sastard

Billy Sastard One thousand brown M&Ms ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun

This, gentlemen, is fucking awesome.

Thank you.

Now, God help the person that don't use it and spoils my favourite show that we get 3 months after it show in America

1 person likes this.
  3. Sennsational

Sennsational BANNED ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

He's just mad about Breaking Bad.

4. haydaddict

haydaddict Smiley King ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

The shows im watching are on tv 24hr later after their US air time...so no spoilers for me! :p

It was all a dream

5. Perfect4ths

Perfect4ths Hell is empty. All the Devils are here! ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Polls Champion 2023

Q: Will you allow Vid posters to use this to hide their links? And does hiding the content prevent it from being searched?

1 person likes this.
  6. Green Bastard

No, I don't think so. Do you mean hide something they aren't supposed to be doing? It would still only be a click away so mods and others would ultimately see it and take the same steps. Or did you mean something else?

It will still be indexed by vBulletin and available via search here at Phun.

It may or may not have small implications with Google et al. It's hard to say since they don't reveal the inner workings of their algorithm. It's available in the source code so they will definitely index it, but the question is whether they will rank it differently because it's then hidden via CSS. But it probably doesn't matter in our case because I doubt our spoiler text is anything that would drive significant and/or relevant search traffic to Phun anyway.

1 person likes this.
  7. J3scribe

J3scribe we are devo BANNED ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Ten Years of Phun

It will not be allowed in the video content forums to hide either text or links. Any such posts should be reported and anyone caught doing so will be warned or worse.

In fact, I'll add language to the rules providing for this policy. Glad you brought it up.

1 person likes this.
  8. Perfect4ths

Perfect4ths Hell is empty. All the Devils are here! ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Polls Champion 2023

Another forum has a hide feature that requires you to hit "Thanks" before it's revealed. I think it's a "thanks" generator plus aids in the detection of white knights.

I just wondered if it was searchable on Phun. Thanks,

Glad I could help, figured that forum would be the first to exploit the option.

1 person likes this.
  9. J3scribe

J3scribe we are devo BANNED ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Ten Years of Phun

Yup.

1 person likes this.
  10. TheOne

TheOne The President ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

will non members be able to see the hidden material?

11. Jack Tripper

Jack Tripper I don't know. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

Good question.

12. MadamMeow

MadamMeow Hiding in the shadows... Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Ten Years of Phun

I was able to view the spoiler above while not logged in on my phone.

I didn't try it through the tapatalk ap though.

13. Green Bastard

Yep.

You mean you were able to open and close it, right? As in it worked? Not that the spoiler part was visible without clicking the button?

The worst case—in the case of JS being disabled or failing—is that the content should be hidden and the person sees the button but it doesn't do anything. It could have been done in the reverse way so that they see the content, but if it were me I'd rather not be subjected to a spoiler because I have JS off or something failed.

1 person likes this.
  14. MadamMeow

MadamMeow Hiding in the shadows... Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Ten Years of Phun

The content was not visible off the bat, I had to use the button to see it. :)

1 person likes this.