1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

instagram possibly serving up higher res versions of images

Discussion in 'Celebrity Extra' started by WillFR, Sep 28, 2016.

1. WillFR

WillFR

Sorry if this doesn't belong in Extra, please put it to wherever it belongs.

Ok I just noticed something about instagram on iOS at least (maybe android too) but someone very smart with a jail broken iphone is needed. They just recently introduced a zoom feature on instagram, and I tried it out on some of the images I have liked and there seems to be FAR more detail/resolution than 1080/1080 that we see on the web. I guess they only make these higher res images available in the app, maybe because of this new zoom functionality.

Anyway, if someone has a jailbroken iphone and knows how to do get the suspected higher res images that seem to be exclusive to the apps, please report back

Here's the image I noticed the difference on a lot https://instagram.com/p/BF_w9M9MwfJ/ Save that image from Chrome or Firefox for desktop compared to zooming in on the photo. I'm seeing MUCH more detail on the iphone app

2. Caarcaar

Caarcaar

Yep, they made a big announcement about it a couple of months ago.

3. dave4455

dave4455

It is a pain in the ass to download images from instagram. I hope they fix this in the future. They should allow for
    right click=>save as

1 person likes this.
  4. arrogantamb

arrogantamb

You can use a third-party viewer site to download them easier. The best one went paid-only, and so it has or will die a lonely death soon, but others remain.

1 person likes this.
  5. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93

While it would be nice for them to implement such a feature I doubt they will. Though there are enough ways to download the images so I don't find it much of an issue myself.

1 person likes this.
  6. YourPalJustin

YourPalJustin All posts by ChatGPT Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Ten Years of Phun Power Poster

I have a plugin in Chrome for 1-click downloading full size images on IG.

7. vamp4343

vamp4343

8. dark_lodger

dark_lodger Ten Years of Phun

I'd like to see instagram allow nudity to be posted, I hope they make this change soon.

9. J3scribe

J3scribe we are devo BANNED ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Ten Years of Phun

It's owned by facebook so don't count on it.

10. d1storted

d1storted

I'm rather clueless about these things. What plugin is that?
    Thanks in advance :)

11. marts

marts

Don't need a plugin, just search their account on this site and click download

eg. Click download under image and it will take you to high res
    http://yooying.com/p/1348736510367619200

12. vtecf20c

vtecf20c

13. zoomfrog2001

zoomfrog2001 Guest

OP is specifically pointing out that it appears the zoom function on the phone app is revealing what possibly is higher than 1080/1080. I personally have not seen anything higher than 1080/1080 via some third party app or browser sleuthing (dev tools). Yes, for some this is common knowledge, but, again, this isn't what he's talking about.

14. WillFR

WillFR

Someone helped me out with this on reddit and it turns out that i was wrong, the pictures are the same res in apps as they are desktop browsers. The reason I thought otherwise is because the zoom in the instagram is very good and advanced whereas the zoom in the photo viewer i use on my laptop does an awful job of zooming and makes things look blocky and have artifacts. Sorry about this. Gosh computers are complex hahaha

1 person likes this.
  15. J3scribe

J3scribe we are devo BANNED ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Ten Years of Phun

I use an extention called Imagus, which is available for Chrome and Firefox, and it couldn't be easier to use. For example, go to the Instagram (or Twitter) page you're following:

[​IMG]

Select an image and hover your cursor over it. Imagus will open the image to fit your browser. In the upper right hand corner of the image is it's actual size in pixels, and the file name (Or in IG's case, the message that goes along with the image).
    [​IMG]

To save the image press Ctrl+S then Enter, or right click then Save. Easy peasy.
    [​IMG]

If you want to open the image full size just press Enter and then you can use your scroll wheel to zoom in and out. The extension has a host of settings to personalize it to your own preferences. I've been using it for several months now and it's great. It even opens IG videos by hovering your cursor over them and you can save them the same way you do an image.
    [​IMG]

It also works on most imagehosts, including imagebam and imgbox, so you don't have to open a tab to view a full size image. It's the best thing since sliced bread.

4 people like this.
  16. mistify

mistify ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

You can also left-click on the image you wanna save and then right-click ''save page as...'' and in the downloaded folder you find the high resolution pic ;)

17. WoodenDuck

WoodenDuck

I use a program called 4K Stogram.

https://www.4kdownload.com/products/product-stogram

You put in the name of the account you want to follow, and it downloads the whole thing in full resolution. I'm not sure if it downloads the maximum resolution available on the app, since I don't use the Instagram app, but I've definitely got pictures that were higher res than 1080x1080 using this program.

The free version let's you follow up to 2 accounts, though you can optionally pay to unlock the ability to follow many accounts.

Note, this program used to crash on me a couple years ago when I had it on my old computer, but I haven't had any problems with the new version on Windows 10.