1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Phun Time 3D Grafix Thread

Discussion in 'Creative Backyard' started by Cy, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Cy

Cy X-No-Archive ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

Well, after seeing the 3D text sigs that Lukin, Innu3ndo and Helium have been doing, I thought I'd give it a shot.
    It seems their preferred app for 3D is Cinema 4D, which looks really nice, and costs $3700.00 :(, and has fairly decent system requirments :(.
    Seeing how I dont feel like hunting down a pirated version and going thru the hassle of cracking it etc. I've hunted around and found us a platform independent, totally free, excellently documented 3D suite.:D

It's called "Blender" and it has an excellent reputation, although admittedly, it does have a learning curve to daunt the little jot of noob in all of us.

[​IMG]You can get it here:
    http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/ (Please get 2.49b so we all have the same version)

[​IMG] The wiki book I'm using is here:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro
    (As a wiki you can get it in most languages, so we can all play without language causing headaches for some. :) )

I havent done more than start the app and start reading the help files so it gives us all the chance to start out fairly easily together. :tup2:

It'd be great if we have some folks who already use it, but if not, this is a chance to get in on the ground floor of a phun project that hopefully will turn into a whole new level of grafix work here on phun :cheers:
    If you want to join in, all are welcome! :) If you dont, please dont ruin it for those of us who do. Since we are all starting out, we have a unique opportunity to have everyone on a level playing field, so everyone can feel valuable and come up with things we havent seen before.

I figure to start the projects and tutorials Friday January 8th around 2200 GMT, so everyone has a couple days to download, install and do a little experimenting before we dive into 3D Modelling here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Learn_to_Model (Actually Unit #2, since Unit #1 is just the intro)

[​IMG][​IMG] Please use these couple of days to read through Unit #1 [​IMG][​IMG] so you have an idea what is where, it's easy, short, and if you cant find your tools, how can you create anything?

This isnt really a display thread, although I'm sure pics will get posted as we work on them and as a place to trade sources etc. I plan to post finished pieces in their appropriate places as they get finished, but please feel free to post works in progress or to request help or share new things you figure out. [​IMG]

2. Cy

To give you an idea,
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    were all done in Blender. I think it's going to be a lot of fun [​IMG]

dnf, Cold As Ice, J3scribe and 3 others like this.
  3. TheOne

TheOne The President ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

I tried the Newtek Lightwave 3D program and I couldn't figure anything out, so I discovered that 3d is possible to make within photoshop. But I will try this out tomorrow, I am just way too tired now!

Cy likes this.
  4. Cy

Over the years I've tried most of the big ones and the only one i was ever able to use worth anything was Cool3D 2 back in the win98se days. I'm going to go the "actually read the instructions" method this time. Hopefully, learning with other folks will make it more fun.

5. kaos42000

kaos42000 Living after midnite ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun

I might give it a shot.......Thinking about going back to school to learn more 3d stuff.........Cant find a job doing anything else......might as well find one doing something I enjoy!

Cy likes this.
  6. Cy

Ok, today starts everyone working on the first project, good luck and post what you come up with when you finish. :cheers:

7. Lukin

Lukin Mr Nici ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun Power Poster

this was done with Lightwave by me a few years ago when i used to use it quite regularly

[​IMG]

8. MrBig

MrBig That KimK guy Ten Years of Phun

i used to work with blender some years ago.. i never was great at it, but i learned the basics and a bit more, I'd say.. very cool application!
    I'll install it in a minute.

Cy likes this.
  9. supr2nr

supr2nr

Very cool idea for a thread.

Cy likes this.
  10. essential

essential Evil wakes in vengeance,be careful what you choose ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member Movers & Shakers Power Poster

I'm working with Cinema 4d i'll show some when it's more advanced
    Any advice on people how i save files in Cinema 4D so i can open them properly in Ps ?

11. Innu3ndo

Innu3ndo

Go to RENDER at the top and click on RENDER SETTINGS.

Next click on OUTPUT and change the resolution to whatever you want.

[​IMG]

Click on SAVE And check alpha channel, and then check separate alpha channel. Also make sure your save format is TIFF.

[​IMG]

Click on ANTI-ALIASING and change it to best (render will be of a higher quality but will take more time to render)

[​IMG]

Close render settings and go to RENDER > RENDER TO PICTURE VIEWER

When it's finished click on FILE > Save picture as.

[​IMG]

12. essential

essential Evil wakes in vengeance,be careful what you choose ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member Movers & Shakers Power Poster

Thanks alot innu!

13. Cy

Well, cant say my first day with Blender went too well. Learning curve is steep they say.
    Rather like Niagra Falls I say. Sheesh.

Onward Ho! Another day of practice!

14. essential

Ugly a shit but it's the first thing i made :p
    [​IMG]

15. Cy

Better than mine. I havent figured out how to use text in the first place.

16. essential

[​IMG]

17. Cy

Ah, Ess, I see our efforts are about on par. How a 3d render cuts out parts of the model mesh is beyond me. It's done it to me 50 times and it's just making me crazy.

18. essential

I'm just playing around with Cinema 4d to figure out how buttons and stuff works, never worded with a 3d prorgam before.

19. Cy

Ah HA! I've found a tut on 3d logos and text for brender using 2d images from gimp or ps. :D Already cruising along doing very well. Hopefully will have something to post this evening :)

20. essential

trying to figure out how explosion effect works can't really figure it out :(