1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

INFO Thread titles

Discussion in 'The Phun House Rules & Information' started by Kieks, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Kieks

Kieks Getting away with it, all messed up. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Original Phun Crew

Just thought I'd do a quick post relating to the way thread titles are labelled with some pointers, do's/donts.

When posting the name of a model/celeb and other key info, please don't put a dash - , or colon : directly next to the word, otherwise it won't show in a search, unless one searches for the name with the specified symbol, which they're not going to do, and thus this will lead to reposts. So to give an example, the thread title Kim Kardashian-bending over, cleavage shots at football game - Jan 16 isn't good (well the scenario certainly is), but the title isn't. Someone can search for the word Kim and find the thread, but searching under the surname won't, because there wasn't a space between the dash. Same situation applies with colons as well. We've edited lots of these titles in the past, so just a heads-up for people that do it without knowing.

Also, it's always handy (this more applies to the celeb forum than anywhere else) to have a bit of room if possible for more text in the subject line, as quite often there are additional pics, and people like this added to their title to acknowledge this, but sometimes if the thread title is mega long, it's hard to add more to the title. Which is why when dating the pics in the title, going shorter is better, such as Jan 8 instead of January 8, even using the 16/1/10, or 1/16/10, (depending on what format you use, and let's not get into arguments about which format is better!) can save room.

Also, it's always handy if the celeb is known more-so by one name, it's always handy to put the full name or alias either in the title or within the post, depending on length & appropriateness. Some celeb examples being JoJo, Kat Von D, Pink and there are others.

Please remember that the thread title is your way of identifying what's within the post, so it should be labelled as good as possible, and witty/personal opinions and comments should only be included if there's room for it and not at the expense of important info such as the date/name of shoot etc.

Any queries, please shoot.

2. Kieks

Also, it won't show in a search if " is used. There's a lot of posts in the Celeb Forum for the 3rd Annual Art Of Elysium "Heaven" Gala Event, I see one of Olivia Wilde. If you search for Wilde heaven you won't locate the thread that is active, searching off Wilde will locate it.

However, the ' does show in a search, this one being an example. Searching for Taylor love will locate the pics in a search, if you were trying to find Taylor Momsen at the launch of 'Love Rocks'.

So the lesson here is, use the single ' and not the double " .

3. whoeverknows

whoeverknows Guest

That's right, and I use that often. I half solved it by adding tags, but now I'll start using the ' then.

Thanks Kieks

Kieks likes this.
  4. S-type

S-type Cogito, ergo sum Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member

OMG! I've been using "" on my titles for ever! :(

PS What about parentheses (){}[] ?

probniradovi likes this.
  5. whoeverknows

whoeverknows Guest

You're not alone, I always used it, and woody uses "" too.

But () work on a search. For instance if you search Femjoy, it will show even if it's like this (Femjoy).

Edit: Another way to make "" work is if you add the title again in the post text. For example: "Mosaic". Then it will show up on a search, except if someone searches only for thread titles...

Kieks likes this.
  6. S-type

A word of warning! If one tries to get clever with non-English character sets, accents, diacritics, etc., as I have done with Markéta Bělonohá, for example (don't ask me why - I've stopped it now!), one must specify these when one searches. For example, if one searches for Bělonohá, it will find those entries but not the "anglicised" Belonoha! Vice versa is also true!

wookiee, Fuzzopi and probniradovi like this.
  7. Kieks

Yep, that's why it's normally easier not to use the symbols and such, I usually don't use middle name seperation either. ie, I'd type Catherine Zeta Jones instead of Catherine Zeta-Jones because one won't show the other.

probniradovi likes this.
  8. Austxsoul

Austxsoul A Pirates Life For me

Well thanks for putting this together Kieks. Since you started it I have tried to change my titles (the few I have done). Old habbits are hard to break but I am working on it. I am also trying to remember tags... Let's all save the search! ;)

probniradovi likes this.
  9. Kieks

To go back and fix all the old threads would take an eternity, but if each person does their bit from now on in future threads, it might just work ;)

Ta.

probniradovi likes this.
  10. Kieks

probniradovi likes this.
  11. S-type

As described above, characters such as dashes, colons, quotes, parentheses, etc., can indeed subsequently interfere with searches when included in thread titles! However, can I remind you that if one suspects or knows that such characters are involved, providing that those characters are specified in the search string, the search works!

For example, if a thread name/title is "Thread Name" (in quotes), then searching for Thread Name will fail, but searching for "Thread Name" (including the quotes) will succeed!

Hope this helps for all those posts that we named before we understood! ;)

probniradovi likes this.