1. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. PHUN.ORG WILL BE TRANSFERRING TO A NEW HOSTER DURING THE NEXT 7 DAYS, AND SOME DISTURBANCE MAY BE EXPERIENCED. WE'LL KEEP YOU INFORMED AS DETAILS EMERGE.
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Imagesocket.com so slow

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by woody01, Feb 7, 2010.

1. woody01

woody01

Hotlink images are taking an age for me to load with imagesocket, a page in my thread takes couple of minutes to load instead of a couple of seconds. I would like to know if its the same for everybody? If everybody is having the same issue I would make another request for the allowed hotlink hosts to be updated to have an alternative to imagesocket for adult\nudity images.

2. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

more or less each imagehoster has performance-issues every now and then.
    you may want to disable sigs displayed (user cp -> edit options -> scroll down to "visible post elements" and unmark "show signatures". could help to improve page-load for you.

3. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

edit (just checked your thread) - mix imagehosts. use just one image per post for hotlinking on imagesocket and host the others on one of the allowed alternatives.

4. woody01

woody01

For hotlinking there are no alternatives.

5. TheRiver

why not posting the caps as thumbnails on imagevenue, imagebam, sharenxs etc.?

6. woody01

woody01

The only time I would use thumbnails is if the thread contained a single scene or complete movie but if the thread contains multipule clips I feel hotlinking is by far the best way for it to be viewed.

7. TheOne

TheOne The President ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

I don't agree with you, thumbs are fast and noone wants to wait for a post that takes forever to load, it may even cause old computers to crash. if you wanna see the images it's much easier to click and load each picture at a time rather than all at once.
    Sure there are!

8. woody01

woody01

There is no right or wrong way to display images you prefer thumbnails and I like hotlinking both should have a place in this forum.

Imagesocket.com is the only allowed hotlinking host that lets you post nsfw images so as I said before there are no alternatives.

9. TheOne

TheOne The President ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

Alright then, if you want to post hotlinked pictures that is your business, but don't complain if things are getting slower, cause you caused that. It is entirely your fault, noone else. Even if we would use another file host, that one would also slow down after a while simply because of all the bandwith that will be clogged up by all the traffic the hotlinking creates

10. Perfect4ths

Perfect4ths ...That's All She Wrote ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Polls Champion 2023

I really think you should consider using thumbs. I will not wait around for your or any other page to load that hotlinks the images, like a lot of other users, and because of that, your thread loses activity, and if members become aware that all threads posted by woody01 are hotlinked, they'll start to avoid them completely.

Not everyone has a high speed connection, additionally you are placing more strain on the imagehost by hotlinking the images, so you share some blame for the host having issues.

11. woody01

woody01

I really don't know whether to take the last two posts seriously when allocating blame. First off according to TheOne all hotlinking is doomed yet I have posted my thread on other forums for almost a year and with over a million views the pic host has never had any reliability problems and I have seen threads more than two years old with hotlinked images and they still work fine.
    As for Perfect4ths logic surely phun is much more to blame for using imagesocket as thier only nsfw hotlinking host, thats the reason I use it, but I don't believe that. I am only using a sevice they provide if they can't provide that service they shoudn't offer it and when an approved file or pic host fails to delever thats one of the reasons for having About phun.org thread.
    If phun's mods and admin doesn't like hotlinked images for fear of slowing down the forum or prefer thumbnails why not simply ban hotlinking or limit it to certain parts of the forum where it couldn't be abused.

12. Taipan

Taipan Reach Out And Touch Faith Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Phun Award Holder

We allow hotlinking for ~1 cover/intro pic in the model forum & we allow to hotlink 1 cap in the vid forum (a backup pic as a thumb is the best).

It's true that IS is the only imagehost that allows hotlinking of NSFW pics atm. but that isn't our fault,it's because there is a lack of good,stable,malware free hosts.

We are allways happy to get some suggestions,so instead of complaints give us some recommendations.

13. Perfect4ths

Perfect4ths ...That's All She Wrote ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Polls Champion 2023

One hotlinked image per thread isn't bad, but when a mega thread only uses hotlinked images, then there is a problem.

Maybe one of the solutions is that mega-threads in the SVF cannot use hotlinked caps.

And when I meant you, I specifically meant your mega thread.

14. AlekseyKorzun

AlekseyKorzun

I'm sorry for failing to deliver on a free service; there is a reason most image hosts do not allow adult hosting and defiantly don't allow hot linking of adult content.

People that did that lasted a few months before dead pooling; while we have been hosting images for years and still care about our users even when we are taking
    financial losses.