1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Attention!! Links to filehost Rapidgator are not allowed for the purpose of downloading files in any forum on Phun. If you have questions contact a moderator.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an unescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

gfycat - Jiffier GIFs through HTML5 Video Conversion

Discussion in 'Creative Backyard' started by J3scribe, Dec 4, 2013.

1. J3scribe

J3scribe gone fishin' ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Ten Years of Phun

Okay, this is cool, and brothergrims gets the props for introducing me to this. gfycat is a gif imagehost for websites that converts your gifs into little movies which you can control. You can speed up or slow down, pause and even reverse them. Here's the site overview:

http://gfycat.com/about

Unfortunately gfycat isn't set up for posting thumbnail links on forums, but it's such a cool idea I thought you guys would like to check it out, especially any of you with blogs or websites of your own. If you like you can go ahead and post a link to any GIFs you upload along with the regular links you post in the GIF threads.

http://gfycat.com/

http://gfycat.com/AnyHorribleFulmar

Open the link. Hover your cursor over the image and then the red arrow to reveal the controls. Have phun. :)

2. Lukin

Lukin Mr Nici ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ Power Poster

just tried embedding their examples but not supported on Phun..... yet? any chance the video tags could be modified to accept html video? it would open a whole new world of animated sigs! the existing 1.5mb limit could support about 30 seconds of animation!

3. Green Bastard

Green Bastard feels good man

One problem to consider with embedding html5 video is that cross-browser formats are still a bit shaky. h264 mp4s can get you most (~60%) of the way, but ideally you want to transcode to webm and also have a flash fallback for IE < 9. Setting aside the BB code tag implementation details, it would put the burden of transcoding on the user, which they simply won't figure out or take the time to do. Now, you could just use mp4 and consider this an enhancement for people using supporting browsers, others will eventually catch up and that's fine.

Or, if you only wanted to add embed support for Gyfcat in the same way YouTube has it's own tag, that makes it a lot easier because they are transcoding to webm for you and provide a link to the actual gif for IE8. The question is, do you think Gyfcat will still be around in a year? It's definitely an awesome idea, but it likely started as somebody's weekend coding project. Sometimes those stick around and grow into something bigger and sometimes they get shut down or abandoned. It's anybody's guess.

It's probably easiest to just post a link to Gyfcat as an enhancement to the actual gif as J3scribe mentioned.

Personally, I'm not so big on stuffing sigs with extra content and bandwidth. But, there are definitely benefits to using something like this in gif threads. The ability to pause alone would be a great feature.

1 person likes this.
  4. Green Bastard

I noticed that they actually do have a thumbnail for each gif/video in the page's meta data. So, I threw together a bookmarklet that uses that (static) thumb and provides the BBCode ready to copy. For example:

[​IMG]

What I said about the potential longevity of images due to this maybe being somebody's experiment is probably still a concern. But, really, the same goes for any new image host. And, people seem to be unhappy with the current gif hosts, so I'd say it's worth a trial.

To try the bookmarklet visit here:

[del]http://jsfiddle.net/zytsL/embedded/result/[/del]
    Updated 7/16/2015 6:55 PM: https://jsfiddle.net/zytsL/1/embedded/result/

6 people like this.
  5. J3scribe

tipitipitipi and Green Bastard like this.
  6. Green Bastard

Hmm, that one works for me:

[​IMG]

What browser and version? It should look like this:

[​IMG]

tipitipitipi and J3scribe like this.
  7. J3scribe

I use chrome, which updates itself.

I'm gonna try it on my chromebook. This old laptop I'm using has some issues.

8. Green Bastard

Ok, that shouldn't be an issue then, that's Chrome above. Keep in mind that when the prompt comes up, what's in it (BBCode) is already highlighted and ready to copy. So, if you press some key (other than Ctrl + C) it replaces what was highlighted.

That's the only reason I can think that that should be happening. Unless it's some extension/addon causing it. In which case, try it in incognito/private mode just for testing because that has the side benefit of not running any extensions.

1 person likes this.
  9. J3scribe

The incognito mode worked. :tup:

[​IMG]

tipitipitipi and Green Bastard like this.
  10. Green Bastard

That's some kind of plug-in interference then. Now that I think about, you mentioned once that you use ScriptNo or NotScripts, right? Both of them [1][2] appear to have open bugs that disallow bookmarklets and don't provide a way to whitelist them.

I'm not sure of a fix offhand. First, start by making sure you have Gfycat whitelisted (I'm guessing you do or their speed controls, etc wouldn't work) and if that doesn't work maybe try temporarily "allowing all" to run the bookmarklet.

I think it comes down to Chrome not providing these extensions with enough low-level access in regard to blocking scripts. It's come up before and the conclusion was basically that unless Chrome changes some things, these extensions won't be able to emulate NoScript properly. It's apparently why the NoScript author hasn't done a Chrome version yet.

1 person likes this.
  11. J3scribe

As long as it works in incognito I'm not going to worry about it much. I appreciate you coming up with the bookmarklet however. I hope other phunners see this and start giving gfycat a try with their large files, especially, and post them in thumb form using the bookmarklet. It's nice to an additional host with no file size limit, plus of course the html5 video conversion is a big bonus.

12. J3scribe

Go ahead and use the bookmarklet to post for gfycat. :tup:

13. J3scribe

14. Green Bastard

The technique seems to be catching on. Mediacru.sh and Giphy were both using the technique as well. Twitter is using mp4s instead of gifs since introducing gifs support over the summer.

And now Imgur has announced they'll do the same and are introducing a new format (.gifv) which they say they are going to attempt to standardize. I have my doubts about it making in through standards bodies, but I'm curious to see how it plays out.

tipitipitipi likes this.
  15. futureprez2016

futureprez2016 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Power Poster

They changed things around and now I can't get the links to work like I used to do before

16. Green Bastard

Can you explain the problem in more detail? Do you mean the bookmarklet I posted above to grab a static (jpg) thumbnail that links to the actual gfy? If so, I just tried it with a random gfy and it still seems to work:

[​IMG]

Or what changed on you?

tipitipitipi likes this.
  17. futureprez2016

It works.
    I went to the bookmarklet without clicking the "gif is ready" link first

But it does have a new look and that threw me off at first

1 person likes this.
  18. Green Bastard

Ahh ok. So they changed something about the upload process. I didn't actually upload one; I just tested the bookmarklet on the first (already uploaded) gfy I could find. It's intended to work on the page that a user would eventually be linked to (in this case https://gfycat.com/SmallImpressiveDamselfly). So as long as they don't change that—in particular the thumbnails they make available for Facebook—it should keep working.

But if it does break due to their changes, which is entirely possible, just let me know and I'll update the bookmarklet.

19. futureprez2016

Problems with gfycat
    It 100% uploads a gif but halfway through the conversion portion of the upload it gives a "Trouble finding file" error message
    It won't get to the part about the bookmarklet so I don't know if that works now or not.

I have attempted to play earlier gifs and they work so the site is not the problem

20. Green Bastard

I tried and got the same error. Unfortunately, only they can fix that.

It's definitely a problem on Gfycat's end. This is the gist of what I'd assume is happening (I can only guess without knowing how their code works, etc)

1. Normally, after a file is uploaded it's probably placed in some kind of temporary directory.
    2. Then it converts what you uploaded to the gif and video formats it uses and uploads those to another server where it's ultimately hosted.
    3. It then shows you the final page with the hosted gif/video and the links.
    The error message says that it "can't find the file" or whatever. What this likely means to me is that the server or process that does the converting can't access the temp folder where the file was just uploaded. It could be a permissions error or maybe some server or daemon of theirs is down.

But the good news is that it looks like they log errors like that (I got a notice that it logged the error) and other people are experiencing the same thing. So it's probably something that they are aware of—or will be soon—and are working to fix.