1. Update: The database import was successful, but due to an error, it took longer than expected. We're sorry for the inconvenience. Please let the mods and admins know if you run into any kind of unexpected error. Happy posting!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Attention!! Beginning August 1st, 2017 links to filehost Rapidgator will no longer be allowed for the purpose of downloading files in any forum on Phun. If you have questions contact a moderator.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an unescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Several new imagehosts have been added to our official list of Approved Imagehosts. See them in the The Phun House Rules & Information.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

DEBATE Last movie you watched was...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Shell, Apr 14, 2008.

1. YourPalJustin

YourPalJustin always be closing Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Power Poster

Ex Machina

Pretty good.

6.5/10

2. Jack Tripper

Jack Tripper I don't know. Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Okja - 7/10.

Good movie.

3. J3scribe

J3scribe gone fishin' Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

John Wick 2 - 9/10

Relentless. Looking forward to #3.

mitchrocks likes this.
  4. nolefan77

nolefan77 ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

May It Last: A Portrait of The Avett Brothers

9/10

It was a one night only thing, but I'm sure it will be out on HBO and DVD. Directed by Judd Apatow. Definitely check out if you're a fan of their music.

5. mitchrocks

mitchrocks Chitty Chitty Bang Bang ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun

Hell Or High Water
    7/10
    I took 1 point away because of Jeff Bridges apparent speech impediment throughout the movie. Trying to sound like a Texas Lawman, yet coming off sounding like he had a dozen golf balls wedged in his mouth
    Very good movie though

6. Jack Tripper

Jack Tripper I don't know. Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Baby Driver - 4.5/10.

The 1st act is insufferable, it's basically a musical with constant music and dancing. The 2nd act is good, that's the action and crime part of this movie. The 3rd act is just poor, a few of the characters abandon their character's basic motivations and Jon Hamm becomes a cartoonish villain who just doesn't die.

7. essential

essential 4 symbols make a man:A,T,G and C.I am only 1 and 0 ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun Movers & Shakers Power Poster

Transformers: The Last Knight

Optimus Prime finds his dead home planet, Cybertron, in which he comes to find he was responsible for its destruction. He finds a way to bring Cybertron back to life, but in order to do so, Optimus needs to find an artifact that is on Earth.

8,5/10

8. essential

essential 4 symbols make a man:A,T,G and C.I am only 1 and 0 ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun Movers & Shakers Power Poster

pretty good ? prolly the best of the last 5 years :D

9. TheOne

TheOne The President ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun

Garage sale mystery: the deadly room

I liked it, 7/10

10. spiderswims

spiderswims Sleepy Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Ten Years of Phun Power Poster Poll Master! Gayest Member

A Ghost Story..................1 out of 10. HORRIBLE

11. mitchrocks

mitchrocks Chitty Chitty Bang Bang ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun

American Assassin
    Loved it- 10/10
    I've read every one of the books, including the newest, so I am always looking for flaws in movies based on books I have read.
    And although the director took some liberties with the story, I was not upset by them.

12. krl100

krl100

"Pawn Sacrifice" pretty good film which I enjoyed. I tend to be way behind on watching films and rarely go the cinema. I usually catch up with films when they become available on Amazon Prime and Netflix.

13. SDLRob

SDLRob Above Average

The accountant.... 7/10

Well acted, action sequences were bloody good and the plot was an interesting one... but there was something missing for me that turns it from a 'very bloody cool' movie to a 'fucking awesome' movie.

14. Flippy

Flippy Have A Good Time Now!! Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Power Poster

The Book Of Henry(Drama/Fantasy/Crime)

You need to get a new car mom. Its nothing wrong with the car it has a few more miles in it. It is the same banter between Susan and her 11 year old son Henry. Henry is smart very smart. If it wernt for the fact that its good for his social skills he should be in specially gifted children schools. He takes care of the paperwork at home while mom and Peter his younger brother focuses on other things including playing games. He doesnt tell her but he thinks she is a good mom but maybe he should tell her that more of often instead of being condesending. He is worried about the neighbor girl next door and the headaches hes been having lately but he thinks its stress. You need to get into this feature with the proper mindset. If you are a cinemaist that focuses a lot on things makeing sense your not gonna have a good time with this. There are a lot of issues i could bring up on this that are very blatant and in your face. For example it isnt easy for me as a Viewer to have any clear thoughts on the stepdad next door. Does he abuse his step daughter. I have no clue all i see is Henry spying through the window and him having a glass of whiskey while the girl is upstairs. So its hard to say if he is worth all Henrys plans for him or not. But if your willing to let some things slide there is a decent little gem here that has that watch to the end quality. Both Lieberher and Watts are really good.

6/10

15. joneblaze

joneblaze

Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Sequels are usually given a bigger budget.That means bigger SFX,more memorable characters,a suspenseful and edge of your seat script.Kingsman: The Golden Circle falls somewhere in the middle of the aforementioned.

After most of the Kingsman are taken out Gary "Eggsy" Unwin / Galahad(Taron Egerton)
    and Merlin (Mark Strong) team up with the american branch of Kingsman called the Statesman to take on Drug Lord Poppy (Julianne Moore) and stop her unspeakable plans.

Egerton and Strong work well together,whether their scenes were comedic or dramatic.Moore definitely looks like she's having a good time
    The additions to the cast: Jeff Bridges, Halle Berry, Channing Tatum,and Pedro Pascal are cool but mainly pushed to the sidelines

One of the best things about Kingsman: The Golden Circle is Eggsy trying to balance his personal and secret agent life because it plays out in some humorous ways.
    The action sequences are mainly on point and fun.The script is super salty and at times inventive.

There are some predictable turns,i actually thought it was funny how the film kept dropping hints about something i figured out 30 minutes before the reveal.
    Usually a villain has some type of interaction with the hero or heroes throughout the film,but this film oddly diverts from doing so for a long time

I like to think of the Kingsman movies being in a class of their own but some of this felt like borderline Austin Powers.

Fun but definitely not flawless

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

The Lego Ninjago Movie

About 15 minutes into The Lego Ninjago Movie i turned to my son and said hey this is Power Rangers !!
    The similarities to PR are obvious but The Lego Ninjago Movie does manage to be charming and entertaining.
    Lloyd Garmadon (Dave Franco) and his father villainous Lord Garmadon (Justin Theroux),have a Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader type of relationship. Lord Garmadon relentlessly attacks the city of Ninjago
    and Lloyd defends it as the green Ranger....i mean.... Green Ninja along with his friends and fellow ninjas
    Kai (Michael Pena), the fire ninja; Jay (Kumail Nanjiani), the lightning ninja; Nya (Abbi Jacobson), the water ninja; Zane (Zach Woods), the robotic ice ninja; and Cole (Fred Armisen), the earth ninja.

With the palyful sounds and noises it was kind of like watching a child at play as the film plays out,and thats part of it's charm.
    There are a lot of great jokes and sight gags that really worked.
    Good voice work from the entire cast.

This is another Lego film that has that jumbled look to it.There is so much going on on the screen at the same time.
    There was a repetitive feel that set in as the film reached it's last 30 minutes.
    The film has just enough to hold the attention of adults and kids,even though some may have a problem with the changes from the original TV series.

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

Flippy likes this.
  16. essential

Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge

Captain Jack Sparrow searches for the trident of Poseidon while being pursued by an undead sea captain and his crew.

4/10

17. essential

Baby Driver
    After being coerced into working for a crime boss, a young getaway driver finds himself taking part in a heist doomed to fail.

5/10

18. VicShaver

VicShaver

[​IMG]

"The Passion of the Christ by Mel Gibson sucked. All the Pope Paul guys would roll over in their graves
    if they watched the movie. It's nothing but a gratuitous snuff film."

- Father Guido Sarducci

19. Flippy

Flippy Have A Good Time Now!! Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Power Poster

Baby Driver(Music/Action/Crime)

Why is he constantly wearing those ear muffs. It makes him look retarted. Hey back off Baby is not retarted he is the best god damn get away driver i have seen. If you want anyone to get you away from a robbery its him. Baby sure doesnt look like much behind his shades where he sits in the abandoned room where the boss lays out the details for the new heist. If he didnt get caught from stealing the bosses car he wouldnt be in this bind. But you pay off your debts, and so far the boss has been fair. At this rate it should only be a few more heists and they are square. Baby has noticed though that the heists has gotten more and more difficult and violent lately. A feature that got a lot of good reviews from critics around. I cant see that i fully get the Acclaim. What they do well though is the implementation of music to the plot. They make the scenes fit well with the fact that the main character really is a sucker for music of all types. there are some tense chase scenes, but for the most part the plot stays with baby and the actual heists is left out. I just dont feel that the feature gets going. Its as if it is left in the starting block and stays there throughout the run time. Sure it has its coolness and desperatly wants to be a mix of drive and the oceans movies but they actually have things happening in them and here i just dont get that. Just like Baby it feels anonymous and a bit bland.

5.5/10

20. joneblaze

joneblaze

AMERICAN MADE

When i watched Cocaine Cowboys a few years ago,which was very engrossing to say the least ,i wondered about the people that made up the cartels,,who shipped the drugs,where did all of the money flow to?
    Who made up the inner circles of The Medellín Cartel.Well each person's tale was more interesting than the next and Barry Seal was definitely included in that circle.

When i watched the trailer for American Made,i thought it was odd that it was being sold with such a humorous touch,since his story has some very harrowing edges,but thankfully all involved made it work.
    First off Tom Cruise looks like he is having the time of his life in one of his best roles.He makes an amoral person likeable!!
    Cruise actually flew the planes for some of the aerial sequences.He easily displays Seals,quick to jump to i cant do that,to becoming the go to guy for every shady job.
    Domhnall Gleeson is great as C.I.A operative Monty Schafer,who hypes up,threatens,and disavows Seal in one breath.
    Sarah Wright is wonderful as Barry's wife Lucy Seal.She is definitely not in agreement with her husband's dealings,but when you love someone you tend to look away,and i thought she portrayed this wonderfully.

The actors making up the heads of The Medellín Cartel Alejandro Edda as Jorge Ochoa
    Mauicio Mejia as Pablo Escobar are intimidating and funny at the same time.

It's a crazy true story of how one man was used and pulled in different directions by the CIA,DEA,FBI and drug cartels.
    The story is handled with a sense of humor around it's edges,even when it becomes very dark
    and i appreciated that.
    Doug Liman's direction is sharp and the script still manages to be suspensful even though i new the outcome.

Scale of 1-10 a 10

STRONGER

This is a more personal story than 2016's Patriot's Day which was the account of The Boston Marathon bombing.
    This story of Boston Marathon bombing survivor Jeff Bauman,is relentlessly moving
    We see the strength and struggles of Bauman's family as they try to cope with his unforseen circumstances I thought every actor was so natural in their roles.
    This is a movie in which the raw emotion portrayed is almost overwhelming
    Jake Gyllenhaal as Jeff Bauman and Tatiana Maslany as Erin Hurley, Bauman’s girlfriend give stunning performances
    Whether they are displaying love and care or arguing it really comes off as genuine
    I truly hope they both receive Oscar nomination's this year
    Another great triumph of the human spirit film.

Scale of 1-10 a 10

FLATLINERS

The original Flatliners was very haunting with visuals that drew me in
    The 2017 version was able to capture my attention in its first hour because of the quirks,humor and playfulness of the characters
    It just fails to be nothing more than a paint by numbers horror/thriller film.

Everything just becomes more repetitive and drawn out
    Nothing to run out to the theatre for. Wait for the DVD

Scale of 1-10 a 4

'Til Death to us Part

This ...uhhmm...film lost my attention after its first 30 minutes.
    I was kind of shocked it took such a cheesy turn.With characters making the dumbest decisions i have ever seen in a movie !!!!!!!!
    The writer should be ashamed of himself because he borrowed 70 percent
    of it from a very popular 1991 thriller.
    The acting and everything gets worse as the terribly paced film plods along.
    Skip it wait for it to hit TV One or B.E.T

Scale of 1-10 a 3