1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

YSI VIDS KILLED OFF! possible solution?

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by apedosmil, Jul 18, 2005.

1. apedosmil

apedosmil

Ok so I know a good many of you who have taken the time to upload vids to YSI and then sent the links only to find the link has been killed off before the hour is out. I talked to a few of you guys and I know this pissed you off so I came up with one idea I think may fix this problem, tell me what you think. You don't always see the flaw in your own ideas, so if there is one, let me know.

To fix this problem:
    We could save the vid in a .rar file, then password protect it. Once you deside there are enough people to send the link to (or at least know who you wanna send it to) you could send out the link. Then send the password out in a seprate PM only AFTER each member you sent the link to has PMed you back to confirm they were able to download the file. This way if this "mad deleter" wanted the vid, (and to delete it) he would have to wait until everyone had the file before recieving the pass to open it. So...feedback?

Also Tommy, I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but I figure since it's a matter concerning the vid vault that this would be the appropriate place for the post.

2. Cardiac

Cardiac

I like it! Don't forget, the passwords would have to be a little complex to reducing the chances of guessing it.

3. LMMJ

LMMJ Mr. Kari Sweets Ten Years of Phun

Yes its a good idea but, if the link killer is the first or one of the first to get the link and then kills it, then no one else will get the chance to d/l the vid even if the link is sent to them.

4. apedosmil

apedosmil

yeah but then they have a useless file because they don't know the password. The password to the .rar doesn't get sent out until every member you sent it to has confirmed that they sucessfully downloaded the .rar file.

5. spoof

spoof

Exactly what I wanted to say.

6. impunkyperv

impunkyperv

In theory, this is a good idea. However, it all depends on the size of a file. Obviously, smaller files will not post a problem .. but larger files (300+ MB) would take a bit of time to archive in a RAR. Also, as LMMJ pointed out, the first person could still kill the link, w/ or w/o the password, if he or she desires to.

7. adrenaline

adrenaline

dont care what they say about you, youre a smart lad

i like the idea

8. dnicest

dnicest

I don't see any harm in that. But let me add a little feedback to this YSI. I once uploaded a fairly decent sized file (650MB) and tried to download it minutes later using the YSI manager. The link died on me. After trying to resume the download, I reached a page saying the file has expired or exceeded the alotted downloads or something to that effect. I was the only person to have the link.

9. Lisa Denton

Lisa Denton

It is a good idea and will work, but you won't know whodunit. Say after 20 DL's the link is killed off, do you just say you are one of 20 peoples who may have killed off my vid link, so after you spent the time DL'ing it, I am not gonna give you the password to open it.

Keep in mind you will say this to 20 people.

Unless you are talkin about doin it one by one, which would take forever.

10. Good idea wrong forum, I will move this if I don't see any naked chicks it's not a vid.

11. leonard71

leonard71

good idea, but the only flaw is that if that person was truly evil, he could just download the hell out of it and kill the link, with or without the password. If the person doesn't care about seeing the video, and his only intentions are to kill your download and piss you off, the password .rar is irrelevant.

So it is a good idea, but it doesn't stop truly evil people!

12. Phun Fan

Phun Fan

I have had one YSI link get killed prematurely. I took note of the names that I had sent the link to. I'm sure some of you have done the same. If the lists are checked for a common denominator, we can reasonably assume who is doing it. Posting such lists opens up to the defamation of the character of some innocent parties potentially, so there should be a solution that keeps the lists access limited to someone scrupulous enough to look for the pattern, or maybey there is a software solution?