1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

INFO dark theme/dark mode

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by WillFR, Feb 7, 2020.

1. WillFR

WillFR

Is there not an easy way to view the Phun forums with a dark theme/dark mode? It should do this automatically if the users browser is in dark mode (lots of websites do this, such as twitter)

sitonb10, DDP73 and TheloniousMonk like this.
  2. sitonb10

sitonb10 "Knight of Fuckery" ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member Phun's Late Bloomer

Yes, is there a way we here can have a "Night Mode" switch like other sites. It helps when I am on Phun with laptop
    in bed. Even though I have it plugged into our flat screen it would just help out brightness wise to have this i.e. Hulu etc...

Thanks All!

LiquidVapors likes this.
  3. WillFR

WillFR

Mods can you give us any info on this? There's no way this would be a big hassle, it's just a theme...

sitonb10 likes this.
  4. S-type

S-type Cogito, ergo sum Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member

Just noticed that this hasn't been answered? Themes over and above the XenForo default are either via custom themes/styles such as I tweaked, or via a bought-in add-on, which clearly would be up to the site owner.
    However, I notice that Firefox offers some themes, which I admit I've not tried, but you could experiment with them?

sitonb10 and WillFR like this.
  5. TheloniousMonk

TheloniousMonk Warningmonger ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I just tried the dark theme on FireFox and it makes the rest of the browser grey while the forum page frame remain white/unchanged.

sitonb10 and LiquidVapors like this.
  6. WillFR

WillFR

Really it's supposed to be automatic (more and more sites switch to dark mode automatically) but if there was a simple manual toggle, that's obviously no problem at all. But I don't see a theme area either... Can this please be brought up to the site owners? This would be a huge improvement for the phun forums, I'm really surprised it's not available yet

7. arandomguy

arandomguy Ten Years of Phun

Hey WillFR
    Could you maybe elaborate on what exactly the "automatic" stuff means? And what you think about... what kind of effort and money would go into making it the manual toggle no problem at all? :)

8. WillFR

WillFR

by automatic I mean, if your OS or browser is set to dark mode/dark theme, websites such as twitter automatically go to dark theme. Try it yourself https://twitter.com/mariamenounos . A lot of websites still require you to go to dark theme/mode manually though, even youtube and reddit don't do it automatically yet. I assume this would be easy for phun because other xenforo boards like picturepub have a theme section at the bottom, there's no way it's a big difficult expensive undertaking, it's just a theme

sitonb10 and TheloniousMonk like this.
  9. S-type

I just came across this again, and thought I'd mention that my ASUS monitor (other monitors might also do so?) automatically reduces the output amount of blue light as it senses ambient electric illumination rather than daylight.
    This may go some way to meeting the "dark theme/mode" proposed by the OP?

sitonb10 likes this.
  10. redphill4

redphill4

I just got so annoyed with the bright background I tried Dark Reader extension for FireFox. It's helped a great deal. It takes a little getting used to with the alternate colors but seems to work well for this site, for me at least. The extension is also available for Chrome.

sitonb10, flooff, SophieK81 and 2 others like this.
  11. S-type

I've just added Dark Reader to my Firefox, and can recommend it!
    It's not automatic in operation, and it takes a few clicks to turn it on and off, but it's worth the effort!

12. WillFR

WillFR

Mods please! Phun forum badly needs a dark mode and we know it's not a big undertaking. Please look into this!

13. S-type

Please see the two posts immediately before yours?

14. RDS

RDS Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member Polls Champion 2022

Thanks to this thread I looked into "dark mode" safari extensions ...I discovered "Night Eye", and after 5 minutes of use am fairly pleased. Some of the permissions bother me though, like: "can read sensitive information from web pages, including passwords, phone numbers, and credit cards on: >All Webpages". Does this sound dodgy to anyone else?

15. S-type

It sounds highly improbable to me! Forum or web-page "Permissions" relate to whom you are, not what Browser you happen to be using, or "viewing mode" you've adopted! And any site that presented access to passwords, phone numbers or credit card numbers on a browsable page should have their heads examined anyway, but to do so protected by little more that the colour scheme - e.g. white text on white background - would be sheer lunacy!
    Just for information, we on phun.org of course have no use for phone numbers or credit cards anyway, but user passwords and personal messages are inaccessible even to the site owner - the XenForo software prevents it. As a UK taxpayer I would expect GCHQ to be able crack it, but to view boobs and pubes that are freely available to all?
    I suspect that Safari's "dark mode" extension might somewhat disturbingly be referring to the "Dark Web" as a marketing ploy? "Get your CP and become a millionaire overnight with Safari's 'Dark Mode'!" Oh yes! :rolleyes:

16. Tarkus

Tarkus

It's my understanding that the extension needs to read the entire page in order to render it into dark mode, so they're required to tell you that sensitive information can be seen by the extension. It doesn't mean it's doing anything with that information, just that you should know what is happening, so you can assess the risk yourself.

Sleepyposter and RDS like this.
  17. WillFR

WillFR

I'm just wondering, is there a technical reason the Phun forum can't do auto dark/light theme? It's not like dark theme is some new experimental fringe feature... It's just so much easier on the eyes especially at night or in a dark room

18. Cy

Cy X-No-Archive ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

most browsers today offer theme changing. Right now I have dark mode enabled on phun.
    backgrounds are black text is white links are still blue very easy to read and work with at all times. I always favor light text on dark backgrounds over dark text on light backgrounds. Look in your browser settings, under appearance or themes. in Vivaldi it's called dark mode

sitonb10 and Merlin like this.
  19. Bdsrev

Bdsrev

Any progress on this? An "official" dark mode/theme for Phun forum is really needed, those extensions (or force dark mode in Chrome Canary) are buggy

sitonb10 and RDS like this.
  20. flooff

flooff ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

There are cheap Xenforo dark themes ($40 or so) the site could purchase, though possibly they wouldn't be easily compatible with an older XenForo install or bespoke customizations to the forum without work. Plus the current theme has been customized for a unique look.

You can use the Browser extension "Stylish" to override the default CSS for *.phun.org and customize to have a dark background & white text. I started making a theme but it looked a bit naff as some graphical elements use images and the appearance clashed, & I didn't want to spend lots of time.

Tarkus likes this.