1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

INFO dark theme/dark mode

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by WillFR, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Bdsrev

Bdsrev

Just wondering if the owners/mods have discussed this yet?

2. S-type

S-type Cogito, ergo sum Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member

Our version of XenForo, v 1.5.21 does not have an inbuilt dark theme, but the look and feel of it has been mildly customised. We have no plans to add one.
    However, there are quite a few free dark theme/dark mode browser extensions from which to choose (I use "Dark Reader" on Firefox) so you should be able to find one you like?
    There are no security issues on phun.org, regardless of which browser or dark theme you might choose.

N D, sitonb10, Bdsrev and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bdsrev

Bdsrev

thank you for replying. I do appreciate you took the time to reply. Just curious though, do you not use dark moade on your computer or phone? Once I started to use dark mode, I just can't go back to light mode anymore. I honestly don't understand how I was using the computer in light mode before

S-type and Taipan like this.
  4. S-type

It'll inevitably depend on the environment in which folk do their browsing, any eyesight problems users might have, or of course simple personal preferences, which is why one 'solution' is unlikely to prevail?
    I don't use a Smart phone at all, let alone for browsing the internet! However, I try Dark Reader regularly on my PC Monitor, mainly to check that it's still working, but I can't get used to it as a fixed arrangement.
    When I set phun.org up on Xenforo, folk complained about the original brightness of the default background, so I modified it to its current pale blue shade, with the consequent nightmare of having to adjust so many other things too! (Hence my name at the bottom left of the screen.) Colour schemes on computer screens are either a science, an art form, or both, and the guys that make a success of it definitely earn their money!
    I don't plan to tinker any more with ours! :)

Bdsrev and Taipan like this.
  5. S-type

Further to the above talks about dark themes, I was fiddling about the other day and remembered that I have an NVIDIA Graphics Card. :rolleyes:
    It comes with a "Control Panel" accessible via your taskbar, which facilitates adjustments to brightness, contrast, etc., of your PC Monitor.

[​IMG]
    I find the dark theme Browser add-ons a bit difficult to live with, but the NVIDIA control panel can quite easily provide some relief on my ASUS monitor without resorting to the dark theme extremes.
    Check out your own graphics card settings?

6. LiquidVapors

LiquidVapors Lawyers, Guns And Money ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun

keep playing with it (no not that) i run Firefox in dark matter theme. bright enough to navigate, but soft on your eyes esp around 3am est lol

N D and Merlin like this.