1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

INFO Video Player, codec & technical info and links.

Discussion in 'Celebrity Movies' started by hefestus, Aug 4, 2020.

1. hefestus

hefestus extractor Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Power Poster Phun Award Holder

Some I guess, useful tips for playing the videos.

Video Player

I personally use Daum Potplayer. Free fast and can play nearly all types of media files.
    https://potplayer.daum.net/

Codec

- Video codec

Most of the videos here are encoded in X.264 (AVC) codec or XVID. Those videos are easily playable in all modern players. Those video streams can be placed in mp4, avi, mkv, etc containers.

I start using a more advanced x.265 (HEVC) codec. In short: smaller files and better quality than AVC.

Judged by the objective quality metric VQM in 2015, x265 delivered video quality on par with the reference encoder of the royalty-free VP9 format that competes with HEVC.[13] A codec comparison from 2015 found x265 to be a leading HEVC implementation measured by SSIM metric.[14] In August 2016, Netflix published a comparison of x264, VP9, and x265 using video clips from 500 movies and TV shows using 6 different quality metrics and found that both VP9 and x265 have 40%–50% better quality at 1080p than x264. Netflix stated that with the VMAF metric (which closely mirrors human visual experience according to the author) x265 performed substantially (19% to 22%) better than VP9.[15]

As usual, Microsoft is late with implementing this codec in OS. So if you are still using any build-in Microsoft players, you need to install this free video extension from Microsoft store.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq
    But I recommend using a free Potplayer, so you don't need to install any extra codec.

- Audio Codec

The most popular used here are AAC and MP3 and AC-3 in some older videos. They all play nicely in most players.

Video editing tools

I won't venture here in lengthy video tools discussion. I personally use 3-5 different apps to edit one video. This is aimed at those who want to simply cut a piece of the video as it is, no fancy editing. I recommend another great free tool Avidemx.

[​IMG]

Load video you want to edit. Move to the beginning of the scene and mark with the button <A> In, then move to the next scene and mark with the button <B>Out. The mark rectangle is what you need, or if this is a portion that you don't need just press <<del>>.

On the left column side, there are three settings you need to pay attention to.

- Video decoder (leave it as it is.)
    - Video output. Use copy if you don't want to re-encode the video.
    - Audio output. Copy, or you can convert to AAC or MP3 by using a drop menu.
    - Output format. Here you can choose the container. The same container always works. If you change the container, you may get an error that this video or audio stream is not supported. That means that the chosen container doesn't accept those video or audio streams. So you need to re-encode.

If you wish to re-encode than this combination:

AVC for video
    AAC Audio
    MP4 container

Works great and is portable to nearly any device.

This is the simplest way to cut. This app can do a lot more.

Those are my personal preference, and I hope is helpful. Suggestions and comments are welcome.

hef/zorg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    RaiderCane, Millo75, aklies and 5 others like this.
  2. corrupted

corrupted ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nice idea for this forum. Good advice and well written.

Cheers

hefestus likes this.
  3. Tarkus

Tarkus

I really like the free, open-source LosslessCut (https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut) for simple lossless editing. You can split, merge and even rearrange different cuts before merging.

I also use Free Video Editor a lot, from DVDVideoSoft, but you have to pay to get lossless editing. Unfortunately, it doesn't handle x.265 videos, unlike LosslessCut, but for many jobs (especially splitting), I prefer it.

Both programs are really easy to use for simple lossless editing of videos.

Sleepyposter and hefestus like this.