1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Beginners Guide to Photoshop

Discussion in 'Creative Backyard' started by Innu3ndo, Feb 17, 2009.

1. 2001pm

2001pm 2+2 is on my mind...

If it's true "lossless" compression you're going to get a bigger filesize (in mb). Just depends on the image and a bunch of factors as to the difference in mb size.

EDIT: The majority of my Photoshop work was focused on making Web pages that load fast. That's why I can talk about filesizes, but not about the tricks that the true artistes use to actually create their awesomeness. :)

karabastrahabas likes this.
  2. DeadLamb

DeadLamb

Anything "jpg" is going to have some loss, it's just the way the format works, same way all mp3's have some loss compared to a 40+ meg wav. That is 100% ok for final saves, the main thing to avoid at all cost is working on a pic, saving it as a jpg, then opening it later, working some more, repeat..

that's the "inbreeding" move that ends in horrible results.

lossless formats are really for working on a picture and saving midway or for commercial needs, not really for sharing on the internet. Any random say 1400x1200 vidcap pic I've made is 40+ megs starting size. Then one can save it in formats or jpg levels that get results anywhere from 200ish k to over a meg. .

it's a trade off but IMO the middle ground is best, almost nothing needs over level 8 jpg. The extra info is great when printing photos but not needed for online sharing.

Pic makers tend to fall in love with the digital babies they create in photoshop and think "I MUST save this at higher jpg!!" and that's why we get 800x600 pics that are the same file size as 1400x3000 HQ press pics..

karabastrahabas, Austxsoul and 2001pm like this.
  3. Jammsbro

Jammsbro ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

Basic Borders for sigs.

[​IMG]

4. Innu3ndo

Innu3ndo

This is how i create borders on my sigs, there is usually more than one way of doing something in photoshop though.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. xrayray

xrayray

nice layering, back to topic..

You dont need to copy the file for you to work on its layer if you dont want to. Just double click it, click ok (no need to rename, if you dont want to)

And BAM the big nasty padlock is gone

A question:
    If i want to flip just ONE picture in a layer group of five, how do i do this without flipping all the layers horizontal? I still havent figured this out, so i end up putting it on a separate layer and copy it back in.

6. Jammsbro

EDIT / TRANSFORM / FLIP HORIZONTAL

Or any other one you want.

Austxsoul and karabastrahabas like this.
  7. xrayray

xrayray

HAHA, was it that easy i should be ashame, i have used flip canvas. thanks!

8. Jammsbro

Photoshop keeps resetting to the defaults every time i open it so i lose anything i have set up. Workspace is gone and saved template sizes are gone too.

Anyone know how to switch this off?

9. Jammsbro

Anyone?

10. Innu3ndo

Innu3ndo

The settings file might be screwed for some reason have you tryed pressing and holding (Ctrl+Alt+Shift) and then starting PS it will delete the settings file completely and then start again.

Jammsbro likes this.
  11. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

good question.
    this is all i found.

Jammsbro likes this.
  12. Jammsbro

Thanks Riv, trying it now.