1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Creative Backyard - Open Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Creative Backyard' started by GBTG, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Jammsbro

Jammsbro ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

Anyone know a really good place to get p/shop CS3 brushes or brush packs? I'm sorely lacking in brushes and the last few downloads i got were incompatible with CS3.

2. Cold As Ice

Cold As Ice Master of Solid Water Ten Years of Phun

Jammsbro likes this.
  3. Jammsbro

Superb man, thanks :D

4. Jammsbro

Looks like sid had the SOTW closed. He only come into phun once a week anyway so i guess it's for the best.

5. essential

essential Evil wakes in vengeance,be careful what you choose ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member Movers & Shakers Power Poster

the1 is taking over i think, just need to create a new thead for discussion i think

6. TheOne

TheOne The President ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

Quite right, new thread is open now.

Jammsbro likes this.
  7. Jammsbro

If i put a gradient layer over text (or a shape) how can i "set" it to the text so that i can work on it further (adding lighting and stuff)?

Right now i can only affect text under the gradient.

8. helium

helium .

9. Lukin

Lukin Mr Nici ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun Power Poster

not entirely sure what you mean there jamms, or what you're trying to do.

what type of gradient is it, one set in the layer properties? or a separate layer above the text?

Jammsbro likes this.
  10. Jammsbro

On the text i went into layer and put a gradient overlay on it (layer, style, gradient overlay) . After that i wanted to add some lighting effects (filter, render, lighting effects).

But why i click on the lighting effects they don't show. But if i uncheck the gradient in the layer properties the lighting effect is there, just it's underneath the gradient.

I think that makes a bit more sense.

I want to be able to apply lighting effects over the top of the gradient for further effect.

11. Jammsbro

12. helium

helium .

Jammsbro likes this.
  13. Jammsbro

Aaaaahhhhhhhh!

First time i knew what smart object was for. Thanks you two. I tend to be a bit dainty in photoshop in case i fuck anything up.

14. helium

helium .

and if double click the small SmartObject icon u can edit your previous gradient (photoshop will open a new psd with the text layer and the gradient)

Jammsbro likes this.
  15. Lukin

haha cheers jamms, not sure i did anything except get confused though ;)

the way you wanted to do it isn't the way i do it so i didn't even know what you meant! i do all the effects on their own layer then mask them to just appear over the text

16. Jammsbro

I have no idea what that means. You got a vid tutorial or something for that? Sounds like something i should be learning.

17. Lukin

basically, if i want to add shadows to some plain text, i make a new layer above the text and paint in the shadows by hand with a brush where i want them, then add a mask to it so you only get the shadow where the text is, not inbetween the letters etc like a big blob on top of it

EDIT: this is shadows ON the text, not shadows the text is casting

just threw this together (very quickly!) to explain what i mean

1. this is the text layer, plain text with a bevel added

[​IMG]

2. then on a new layer above it i paint on where i want shade and light

[​IMG]

3. apply a layer mask based on the text outline to hide any of the top layer that isn't directly above text.

[​IMG]

Jammsbro likes this.
  18. Jammsbro

Thats alot easier than i expected :)

So a layer mask is something that will only apply to items already on the layer and not empty space?

Ingus likes this.
  19. Lukin

they do whatever you want them to. they take a bit of getting used to, and you have to get your head round how it works, but it basically creates a mask over any given layer, and you apply black or white to it. black means that area of the layer will be invisible, white means it's visible.

these are visual examples of how they work, not actual screenshots, in PS the mask is overlayed over the top of the layer, you never see it, just control whats visible and what isn't with black and white, be it a brush, a fill, a gradient or whatever

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

in the JAMMSBRO example above just used the outline of the text as the outline for the mask, so even though they're completely separate layers, the top layer is only visible where it overlaps with the text

Ingus, Xkilcher, helium and 1 other person like this.
  20. Jammsbro

That's really cool. All this time i had ni idea that existed. Such a terrible noob i am yet.

I'm going to go and mess about with that for a while :)

Ingus likes this.