1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Instagram and Twitter Clutter in the Celeb section

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by kaos42000, Sep 1, 2012.

1. kaos42000

kaos42000 Living after midnite ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun

Just wanted to post my distain and concern for all of the meaningless crap posts of one or two shitty pics from said celeb on said day posted on instagram or twitter... It seems to be getting worse every day.

It clutters up the site...... IMO should have it's own crap section... Or at the very least make an ongoing thread for Said Celeb..ie "Adrianne Curry twitter pics".... (I think that would be the only one I would look at).....and post away...I just dont see the issue with having an ongoing thread instead of hundreds of threads with one or two pics...A new thread for every god damned crappy pic she posts on twitter or instacrap is ridiculous...

Please MODS... I am begging someone to at least think about changing things a bit...

I wanted to post this in the celeb forum so more might see it and offer their feedback... I will leave that up to you.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

2. Jammsbro

Jammsbro ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

Disagree totally. Why should threads that supply one or two pics be regarded as better than another, that might be filled with fifty near identical red carpet snaps? Content is content and plenty of people take time to share these and other enjoy having them shared.

It's not clutter, it's content. Instagram and twitter have allowed people who like certain celebrity to gain access to exclusive images that they otherwise would never see, ever. So why you would lobby to have them removed and adding another sub-section is beyond me. The new section would have to be maintained and moderated for no good reason. It would be more work for works sake when no extra work or sub-sections are needed.

Change and new social mediums are the way of the internet. New things happen and you have to get used to that. What happens when the new wave of ideas comes out? More sub-sections? What if other members ask for a photoshoot only section and then a candid only section and then a facebook only section and then a red carpet on section and then a screencap only section and so on. And that is just for the celeb section alone.

There is no good reason to create a sub-section for a minor trend in celebs. It just creates more work for the mods and more places to visit to see images that fit perfectly into celebs already.

All you have to do is Label thread titles with something like TW (twitter) or INST (instagram) and then if you don't want to see exclusive images you simply don't open the thread.

3. Jammsbro

Here are pictures from a recent Katie Holmes candids post.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here are pictures from a recent Jessica Alba twitter post.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now can you really state that the Katie holmes images are better, prettier or more interesting simply because they were not uploaded to twitter?

4. spiderswims

spiderswims I love everyone ♔♔♔♔♔ 15 Year Member Power Poster Poll Wizard! Phun Award Holder Gayest Member

Honestly I don't understand the hate on Instagram pics. They are LQ but like Jamms said they exclusive pics. I mean how many Aly/AJ Michalka, Aubrey O'Day, Alexa Vega, Emmy Rossum, Christine Lakin, Britney Spears (the other day) bikini pics have been posted recently that aren't twit/insta pics?

A sub section would work how? New thread for every pic or a thread for each celeb?

Now if there was one thread for each celeb It might make posting easy cause coming up with thread titles for some of the pics is a pain but A lot of pics would get missed cause I'll check out the bikini pics but I'm not going to click on every thread that gets bumped.....plus let's say I post a pic a lot of people like and comment on. A bunch of people would keep opening the thread thinking a new pic was posted and would probably be annoyed that it was just a comment.

New threads each time is the same as it is now so that wouldn't make sense to make a new section for them.

i'm drunk but I think I made sense

5. Kieks

Kieks Getting away with it, all messed up. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Original Phun Crew

I posted my thoughts on the subject in this thread. Am happy to hear other peoples input and opinions.

jzilla, Jammsbro and spiderswims like this.
  6. Jammsbro

I don't use twitter or instagram but I am glad there are people on here who do or I would never see stuff like this :)

[​IMG]

Eljo, jzilla, X-Spectre and 4 others like this.
  7. YourPalJustin

YourPalJustin All posts by ChatGPT Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Ten Years of Phun Power Poster

I would like to see all Twit/Insta/FB pics for each celeb collected in one ongoing thread. There have been several awesome Molly Quinn threads that tried to catch the forum up on a bunch of missed Tweets etc. and they got sent to B&P as so-called collections. Requiring dates and separate threads for social media pics ends up depriving us of cool content.

c-through, rocky and jzilla like this.
  8. Throbbn

Throbbn I'm only here for Phun! ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Movers & Shakers

Kaos and Jamms both make very good points.

There are some good nuggets posted on the social sites, but it's a balancing act because there is soooo much content being pumped out daily. Much of it is boring crap (to me) - same with the Pap pics for that matter.

Everyone knows I prefer HQs, but lets face it not all HQs are very interesting. At times I'll pass on posting certain pics because they are "nothing special". To me a twit pic of a sexy celeb in a bikini trumps a boring, covered from head to toe in a winter coat HQ. :)

So it's all about choices. For me, the forum is becoming increasingly cluttered and hard to keep up with it. So many times I'll just come and chat instead. :tup:

jzilla likes this.
  9. spiderswims

spiderswims I love everyone ♔♔♔♔♔ 15 Year Member Power Poster Poll Wizard! Phun Award Holder Gayest Member

It's fine the way it is :)

X-Spectre and Jammsbro like this.
  10. Jammsbro

It doesn't seem to be an issue about clutter, you can't clutter an image thread with thread about images. The issue seems to be with twitter and instagram, which it seems to be cool to hate. Instagram and twitter and upload and sharing mediums, no different from any fansite or papparazi site. The only difference is that you might only get one, two or three images from the microblogging sites.

If I were to offer my opinion on it then I would ask for all reality tv stars, models and so on to be removed as they clutter up the site. I wouldn't, at all, but you see my point.

If ram or spider posted the best picture of your favourite celeb in Celebs forum but they got it from Instagram, would you disregard it?

spiderswims likes this.
  11. The Lurker

The Lurker Pixel Pusher ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun

I have no problems with posting additional sources of content in their own threads so they can be found through the search engines; with the (exception of the) following caveat:

Economic viability of the 'service' and the increased (amount and type(s) of) content and distribution aside, which is incontrovertible, my issues with Insta-crap are related almost wholly to the following:

Basically, I see them as promoting the death of good photography. But yes, it's more content, and some of it can (currently) be found nowhere else.

Just wish they didn't make it easy to apply crappy 'artistic filters' - which, for the life of me, I can't figure out why using those has become so popular.

"If it ain't broke - fix it until it is!" -The Unsuccessful Tinkerer

12. Jammsbro

I see your point but if that's the case then screencaps, candids, on set pictures and so on would fall under the same category. None of them contribute to the art of photography either but they are all fine in celebs.

Instagram is disliked because you can put a filter over the pictures? :) Welcome to photoshop.

13. J3scribe

J3scribe we are devo BANNED ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Ten Years of Phun

I don't particularly care. If I had it my way each celeb would have their own mega thread, but I doubt that will ever be the case here because unless you place a limit on commenting [NS] the threads would become unwieldly. Nah, things are fine the way they are. If you don't like twitpics or instagrams then don't click on the thread. It seems I've said something similar when it comes to clicking on threads started by members folks don't care for. People gripe about the dumbest stuff they have total control over where choice is concerned.

jzilla likes this.
  14. Throbbn

Throbbn I'm only here for Phun! ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Movers & Shakers

Not to offend anyone, but a lot of that stuff is clutter to me. ;)

Also, I'm not completely following the logic. I posted this above " To me a twit pic of a sexy celeb in a bikini trumps a boring, covered from head to toe in a winter coat HQ." That should answer one of the questions posed above.

I'm curious as to how popular the Celeb forum is compared to 2 or 3 years ago. Are there more views now? or were there more then? Are there more threads now/then? More posts now/then?

I know the forum has been experiencing technical issues, but I think some stats may shed some light. Comments are great, but only a tiny fraction of visitors ever post. Certainly posters are needed and to be valued, but what if the small minority is out of step with the totality of Phun visitors? :dunno:

Too often I feel that posters run in packs. At times friends are supported and even lauded for posting comments/threads that noobs would get absolutely ripped for posting.

This forum is an important hobby for some of the posters and I feel these folks get super defensive when anyone says anything that they see as critical. To the point that they need to take a "time-out" when things don't go their way. No doubt this post will start the PMs flying. :D

Or maybe go outside and enjoy the real world ....

It's all about choices. :D

15. Jammsbro

What pisses me off is people complaining about people contributing. Especially those who don't contribute at all.

jzilla likes this.
  16. Jammsbro

BTW throbbn, that wasn't a dig at you.

17. X-Spectre

X-Spectre Veni, Vidi, Veni

Agree, the no collections rule really shouldn't apply and it would be less 'clutter' (though I don't personally agree with that characterization).

YourPalJustin likes this.
  18. X-Spectre

X-Spectre Veni, Vidi, Veni

There IS something to be said for this stance too.

19. Jammsbro

But realistically, are we going to make and maintain an entirely separate sub forum simply because some users don't like instgram filters or that the picture "does nothing for the art of photography?"

20. What about some sort of check box on the post screen? Maybe have like 4 options to tick. Insta, twit, tumblr, fb. Then once you tick the appropriate box, it will put some sort of icon or text indication into the thread title automatically.