1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Pencil drawings - by Philip Dean Gray

Discussion in 'Creative Backyard' started by phildgray, Jun 11, 2009.

1. phildgray

phildgray

Hi Gang !

Here's another drawing for your artistic entertainment !

This was something that I drew for a competition over at deviantart.com.
    (there was a choice of around 30 Charlize reference pics to choose from)

The first one shown here is my "colour" pencil drawing.
    This is a slightly unusual technique to use the black and grey colour pencils to produce a black and white drawing as the usual method would be to use standard graphite pencils, (not aware of many other artists using this technique).

The second one was an attempt by me to re-work the basic drawing within Photoshop by adding colour, something that I would like to try out more on future drawings.

Many thanks for looking
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lumpie, Gwyndster, zamanox and 12 others like this.
  2. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Digital Love.

Simply amazing. True talent. :D

phildgray likes this.
  3. GBTG

GBTG Phuns Resident Music Nerd ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brilliant work! :eek:

Just a thought; you should start one comprehensive thread to showcase these though, because if each drawing has it's own thread it both clutters the main page, as well as makes them get bumped down quicker. Also people don't have to click around to see all your work if it's all in one place.

phildgray and MasterS2 like this.
  4. phildgray

phildgray

Good point, I was wondering what was the best way to do this,
    I thought about the one thread thing, but thought that people may prefer
    a new thread each time there was something new to show, perhaps
    I should do a poll on it ?

5. GBTG

I'd just go ahead and make 1 thread, no sense in a poll for it.

6. Nemesis

Nemesis

and ask one of the mods to merge your threads into one. ;)

GBTG and TheNewGuy like this.
  7. GBTG

There you go phildgray, 1 merged thread!

Thank wtfazzhole when you get the chance. :yes_new:

phildgray and Nemesis like this.
  8. Fenix187

Fenix187

I wish i had half your talent, your work is great

phildgray likes this.
  9. phildgray

phildgray

Ha ha - not silly at all.......

It really depends on the particular drawing, although I do mostly work from photo refs - especially with the ones that I have already shown on here.
    I am trying to get to the stage where I can 'mix and match' references to produce something entirely new, with regards to the Powergirl drawing I used a (nude) reference pic and drew the outfit using separate character references (almost as though it was a body paint job) I also made some changes to the face.
    With the Charlize drawing, its more like the photo ref (apart from the clothes) as the competition called for some level of accuracy from the drawing.
    With the pinup in Magenta I worked from one body ref and made my own facial features (you can probably tell !) plus drawing it in mostly one colour made it a lot different from the photo refs.

I'm not really too happy with producing something that looks exactly the same as the photo ref, and the fact that its a drawing rather than a (photoshop type) digital piece obviously helps keep it different.

With regards to the initial sketch of the drawing I use measurements to get the proportions right or maybe a grid (if I'm feeling lazy !) and it does help that I have been drawing for a number of years, so practice does make (almost) perfect !
    Although for me the biggest part of the drawing and the most time consuming is the shading/blending part.
    Just to let you guys know, some of these drawings can take somewhere in the region of 30 + hours to complete due to the layering/blending.
    They do also look much better in reality rather than when they have been scanned/photographed.

I do have some stuff that I am working on that is pretty much non photo ref, including some stuff that will be more of the type of my current signature and some which are going to be more tattoo related as I seem to find myself being more and more intrigued by tattoo art (been watching Miami Ink a lot)

So much to do...so little time.....I also am trying to get a website sorted
    out properly for my art stuff and a separate one for my (freelance) graphic and web design side.

10. phildgray

phildgray

Cheers, I did thank him !

11. worminator

worminator R.I.P. Pops 15 Year Member

would love to have a pinup tattoo, & your work is awesome!!