1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Rapidshare deliberately reducing download speeds

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by mokkoriman, Feb 18, 2012.

1. mokkoriman

mokkoriman Cunninglinguist ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Article here:

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/r...e-account-speed-cap-disables-resume-20120217/

Forum buddy tested it out: a 100MB file took nearly AN HOUR to download. :wall:

Note, this only applies to free users - premium RapidPro users supposedly have high download speeds. Gee, how convenient. :roll:

Smart on Rapidshare - as one of the few "major" filehosters left, they're taking advantage of the situation. Nonetheless, pretty crappy for normal free users. :no:

Hopefully a decision about whether filehosts will be added to Phun will be made at the end of the month. Between Hotfile's shady filehosting policies, MediaFire supposedly under new government scrutiny, and this newest ploy by Rapidshare, not many decent filehost options here at Phun. :dunno:

2. stp52x

stp52x

What a steaming heap of monkey shit...so it's just down to hotfile now and mediafire...yes?

3. J3scribe

J3scribe we are devo BANNED ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Ten Years of Phun

I just d'led a couple of linusnc's boots yesterday or the day before (109 and 86 Mb) and they were on my HD in no time.

This truly sucks. Will be like d/ling from oron for free users.

4. mokkoriman

Well, the problem with Hotfile is that they are super duper aggressive in deleting files nowadays - the are some suspicions that they're doing that to avoid any affiliate payments to uploaders. I don't care about that, it just becomes a real pain to reupload on Hotfile.

Mediafire would be ok though I've keep hearing these rumors that they going to be under some government "audit" in the next month or so. I haven't been able to confirm it, so it could be just some internet rumor to scare off people from using Mediafire. Dunno. :dunno:

It isn't and it is. While Rapidshare will throttle free users by slowing down download speeds, Oron does it by interrupting downloads and their awful wait times between downloads. Sucks either way.

5. hefestus

hefestus extractor Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Power Poster Phun Award Holder

RS is shitty host form my uploaders perspective. I still have some 2000+ files on RS but more than 2500+ ware deleted. Nearly all the new stuff since I post celeb videos. Irony same full size movie links are alive, but my short videos from same movies/shows get deleted. As for premium dl speed is top 5 mb/s avg 2 mb/s FS was up to 18mb/s. (from Holland). The good thing is that RS don't ban a/c (never heard of any). On the other hand you don't know what is deleted!? HTTP upload is very slow and there is no FTP upload.

I lost my a/c and another 1000+ videos on HF after 20+ DMCA comp. So watch out.

6. hefestus

hefestus extractor Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Power Poster Phun Award Holder

According to the rapids I have RapidPro will last forever ;) When they convert point to rapids I lost some 80k. rapids, max was 50k rapids you can convert as I remember. Never cash anything been 2 lazy I guess.
    As for the later connectivity issue could be problem only with USA request? I't working fine here in EU (NL)?

7. haydaddict

haydaddict Smiley King ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

I dont know why free users complain about what they are allowed or not to do by filehosters...there must be some ''premium'' features you know in order to subscribe....downloading speeds being the most important!!!!!!

Salty Longshanks likes this.
  8. mokkoriman

I completely agree, hayd. There should be some "premium" features that should be granted when you subscribe and definitely, much faster download speeds is an expected feature.

What I have an issue with is when a filehoster decides to deliberately pull back download speeds to essentially FORCE free users to buy a premium membership. 30kbps download speed cap is unreasonable - that is, unless you're still using a 28.8 phone modem to browse world wide web... then 30kbps is BLAZING FAST! :mrgreen:

Lastly, Rapidshare has explained their reason for capping speeds so drastically was due to the crazy amount of traffic they've been getting in the past week or so. Whether that's true or not, doesn't matter - for the time being, unless you have a Rapidshare premium account (or have some cool inside info. *wink*wink* ), if you try to download RS links as a free user, expect speeds comparable to phone modems from 10 years ago. :roll:

9. Big Bamboo!

Big Bamboo! The Cockney King... Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member Phun HERO

Even hotfile here in the uk is a non starter for free users because if you use the two biggest ISPs (BT & Sky ) you are very unlikely to get a download link appear because of the ip address thay use ...

10. rappy

rappy just a filthy mudblood ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

yep RS is beginning to be checked now by BT