1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Signature of the Week - Discussion - mkIII

Discussion in 'Creative Backyard' started by Lukin, Dec 1, 2009.

1. GBTG

GBTG Phuns Resident Music Nerd ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

^ Yeah, that's a lot better. I realized that 3 stipulations would be WAY to much and would just suck the fun out of sig making! :p

helium and Cy like this.
  2. helium

helium .

thx GBTG and CylnZ for the suggestions.
    it would be very nice to have this new rules for the next SOTW :tup:

ok and because i won the last 2 SOTW i won't participate to SOTW65 ROBOTS

3. Razor84

Razor84 The Masked Man

This.

4. TheOne

TheOne The President ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

I always vote for the one that I like the most.. doesn't matter if a certain woman or her parts are visible in the sig.

but too much regulations and I won't participate!

5. FaileyCyrus

FaileyCyrus Grande for Ariana

I agree.

The best examples are week 61 and 63.

On week 61, I believe people voted for the girl in it, and not the sig itself. Yes it was well done, but a small camera doesn't apply for technology in my opinion.

On week 63, again, the winning sig had a hot chick, but this time, it totally fit the theme, and was the best sig out there.

essential and Cy like this.
  6. helium

helium .

a camera is a technology even clothing are technology.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology

7. FaileyCyrus

I know that! ;)

What I wanted to say was that a small camera in a sig should not apply for technology, since Avril Lavigne was the biggest focus in that case. :)

8. helium

helium .

well the cameras are so small today :)

FaileyCyrus likes this.
  9. helium

helium .

take a look at my first signatures, no text no border.
    i learned how to make sigs from GBTG, Lukin , Innu3ndo, irish-sid (no particular order)
    i also learned how to place the typo on the right positions, respect the the rule of thirds (golden ratio) and other technics. for most of the sigs i made a research and collected pictures, fonts, and brushes. i did this in my spare time, after work.
    it was not easy, for 7 weeks i didn't won anything. i also skipped some themes because i didn't know what to do.

GBTG and FaileyCyrus like this.
  10. FaileyCyrus

Touché. :lol:

Oh by the way, Helium, don't get me wrong, the sigs you make are fantastic! You are not the reason that I don't participate much, if not at all.. :)lol:), but as you mentionned, it's not knowing what creation to do, that's the hardest! :tup:

Much respect to you for bringing awesome sigs every week. :hail:

helium likes this.
  11. Razor84

Razor84 The Masked Man

You're right.

Unfortunately, this is somewhat the problem I sometimes see in the SOTWs.

Avril Lavigne took about 50% of the sig; it felt that the sig was more about her than the actual cam/tech theme itself.

FaileyCyrus likes this.
  12. AFX

AFX Guest

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This is the main one for me too but how the hell do you put that rule into practice?

Congratulations on your win Helium, I forgot to say that earlier, and please don't take what I'm about say as a pop at you because I genuinely think you make some of the best sigs here. I also think you should be able to enter every week regardless of how many times you win it.

A recent theme was favourite movie scenes and the winning sig was essentially Megan Fox's arse, albeit with some great effects around it. A top sig but I'm not even sure any of Michael Bay's relatives would have that as one of their favourite scenes. Now I'm really not too bothered whether I win or not but there's not much point entering at all if there wasn't a small part of me that would enjoy a triumph, I'd simply post my sigs in the other threads instead. But with the competition as it is right now, if I do participate I almost feel like my only chance would be to include some celeb or nude girl, even if the theme was abstract brushes.

I wonder whether we could alternate the themes or something so the winner one week chooses something that involves sexy women, and the theme for the week after must be one that excludes them. I think that could potentially level the playing field. The problem we have is that quite a few of the votes are from members who don't post much and are drawn in by eye candy. Just a thought.

Cy, Razor84, Lukin and 1 other person like this.
  13. TheOne

That is the reason I made the scene from Christmas vacation... It's not a pretty scene but it was funny!

14. Lukin

Lukin Mr Nici ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun Power Poster

an alternating "chicks/no chicks" rule could work, I like that idea

15. jonno2207

jonno2207

Interesting. I've read through peoples ideas on here and I think whoever wins a particular week should sit out the next week but choose the theme. That way although not involved in the competition, they would still have direct input.

16. Cy

Cy X-No-Archive ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

I have to say, I dont think folks should be penalized for winning. If you're better then you're better. I do think there are some STYLES that are more popular than others, but that can easily be dealt with by the aforementioned choices of theme and requirement. I'd like to see some themes where it's the STYLE that's determined by the winner instead of the content. For example, Sid wins. His next theme choice is say, 1960s comic book style, or art deco, or Mongolian, maybe Persian, or Egyptian. That way people could use content they like but have to give the piece a certain "feel", which is what would be voted on instead of the content.

We could have a "blues" music theme one week and a Spaceballs theme another and entries that didnt follow the theme would be disqualified. Expand the theme concept a bit. Then, when you want to do something generic like "cars and babes" it becomes a free for all of content instead of style. In addition, if a winner WANTED to choose a certain content as their theme choice, let them. If the theme is Lindsey Strutt's tits, fine. Or Avril onstage or whatever. The themes just have to give specific requirements so folks know what direction to go in. You cant say "cars", that's ridiculous. Say Ferrari's. Dont say "architecture", say Paris, France architecture of the 1800's.

helium and Razor84 like this.
  17. irish-sid

irish-sid BANNED

No one should have to sit out for winning.
    It's fine as it is as far as I'm concerned. But when giving your theme suggestion just state an extra thing about it. ie. No females. Or, Main focus of sig must be technology etc....

Adding too many rules an stuff is what will kill sotw, not someone winning a lot.

Razor84, helium and FaileyCyrus like this.
  18. Cy

Cy X-No-Archive ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

As long as the themes get real direction or emphasis I'd agree. But take this week for instance. Robots. That's a pretty wide area. Somebody will post Bender, another the Terminator, another an actual robot, somebody else will post some model painted up like a robot or a Toto album cover. It's so broad how will you vote? On CONTENT. Oh, I liked that album, it gets my vote. Oh He did a Spaceballs theme that has Dot in it, I'll vote for that. I'm more against nebulous themes than what people create or who wins most often. If we have a star wars theme, a 13th century weapons theme, a Nat Portman theme and a 2010 football theme and 1 person wins every single contest, fine. As long as they followed the themes specific styles and feel they ought to win.

19. FaileyCyrus

I agree with Sid.

If the main focus on the sig isn't the theme, then it shouldn't be accepted. :tup:

20. TheOne

my contribution is in... If there are gonna be a competition!