1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

We want the old, faster, better looking Phun.org forum back!

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by Mango, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Mango

Mango Monica's #1 fan

Hi staff/site owner(s),

I, on behalf of all Phunners (those who prefer the old forum), want the old, faster, better looking Phun.org forum back! :)

if you agree with the above statement, post a reply and/or click thanks.

Mango

2. Flippy

Flippy There's some awesome stuff in the garbage. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Power Poster Phun Award Holder

well considering that going back isnt an option i fail too see thepoint with this but by all means carry on

3. Mango

Mango Monica's #1 fan

why is it not an option?

4. Flippy

Flippy There's some awesome stuff in the garbage. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Power Poster Phun Award Holder

i dont have all the facts but as i recall the old software cant be used anymore. :)

5. TheOne

TheOne The President ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

I just wish they could make this new one work better, cause right now it sucks. but I like some of the new features that it has

Mango likes this.
  6. HoratioHornblower

HoratioHornblower

I can load like six or seven other pages on different sites before a single page loads here. :( I love this forum, but it's WAY too slow lately.

Mango likes this.
  7. Mango

Mango Monica's #1 fan

I ain't no expert in forum stuff but I'm sure we can see the old forum. :)

8. Taipan

Taipan Mia San Mia Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Phun Award Holder

I can understand your frustration guys,it's an unsatisfying situation for all of us.

We all thought that updating the forum software is an easy thing that brings more fun to all of us.

Keeping the forum clean from spam,reposts,etc. is a damn hard job atm,because of the loading times,gateway errors and not searchable subforums,and you may have noticed that some mods post less / nothing the last time because we have enough work with maintaining the forum.

cayne just paid thousand extra dollars again,to improve the performance of our forum (beside the few thousands he pays every month for hosting).

We do all we can to get the forum back to speed,to eliminate the "bugs",especially The River and cayne ,and i have to thank all our members that report rule violations in the issues thread,that's a big help.

Downgrading the forum software is no option,we'll bring back Phun to old speed and performance.

JDoeson69, Grathon, Ramsfan and 11 others like this.
  9. Redwing1

Redwing1 LOW LIFE ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Ten Years of Phun

Actually , it seems a little faster today and i love the graphic at the top of the page in place of the Vbulletin ...
    Makes it feel more like home !!
    Great job by all the Mods and Cayne , I'm sure everything will get worked out in short order.
    Thanks

10. ackt

ackt Qian jin! Qian jin!

well my wish is to have several skins to choose from, because the default one is kinda .... bland :yawn:

11. Cold As Ice

Cold As Ice Master of Solid Water Ten Years of Phun

Thanks, Cayne did ask me to change that logo i made a bit. I'll work on it.

Gwyndster likes this.
  12. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

try to have the same color on all edges, i´m going to fit the background.
    or add an embossed frame.

back to topic: as for the speed it seems we are on a right track, aren`t we?

13. Cy

Cy X-No-Archive ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

looking better. first post of the day. Let's see what happens.

8 seconds to post, no popup.

14. Cy

Cy X-No-Archive ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

unfortunately... 29 seconds to post the editted post above to add the time to post.
    no popup either time.

To the OP:

Upgrades happen occasionally, and need to. They're rarely smooth. Never hassle free. Generally provide the admins with a frustrated user base. Finally get sorted and forgotten by 99% in a month or two. (In the IT world we used to keep track of your employment by how many deployments, upgrade, or release hells you've survived).

You cant have the old forum back. Not unless you kept a backup of the daabase in your pocket and have the config files in your head. The live database has been changed irrevokably by the uupgrade, the script changes, the hand written config files and most of all by vbulletin's newer table structure. Sure, they have a backup from a month ago, but that'd kill a couple hundred thousand posts and put them right back in the "we gotta upgrade" posistion, and 1 month from now we'd be right back here. I doubt even a solid forum like phun could survive upgrade hell 1.5 just because the users whine a bit. Best thing they can do is keep letting folks know that it's being worked on, and nail the hosting company with lost fees for not being better prepared for the upgrade they were hired to preform. Upgrading a live dbase without simulation or even testing is 1995 amateur. The whole thing SHOULD have been cloned at least in virtual while users were still on the old set up or even on additional hardware, beta tested by 100 or so users for even just a couple hours, reviewed by the host/customer/maintaining admins, modified/fixed/chucked/started over. Didnt happen (If it had, we wouldnt be here). Get over it. Except in formalized IT environments it almost never does. When working with a hosting company outside your control it REALLY never happens. Relax. It'll ge fixed or it wont. If nothing else we could have a total phun "reboot" where this dbase becomes an archive and they start a whole new totally reconfigured, shiney new phun that dumps all the old issues for a whole new set. (Actually, I favor an archive forum that only keeps desired content while dumping all those millions of "are never going to be looked at again posts/threads.)

No matter what, slow nudity is better than no nudity.

J3scribe, JDoeson69, Grathon and 5 others like this.
  15. Salty Longshanks

Salty Longshanks Using my third arm

Very well said Cy. :beerchug: Thank you. ;)

It's one thing for all of the phun bros to hear "progress reports" from we reds when they voice their concerns, but I'm sure that hearing "we're working on it" on multiple occasions gets very old. It's another thing altogether when they can hear it from a learned, been there, done that phun bro that knows where the "bear shits in the woods". I think at this point, your words probably carry more weight than ours do.

During these "troubled" times here at phun, I'm confident that the regs will stick with us, knowing full well that the issues will be resolved one way, or another. The noobs, and lurkers need only look to the sense of community felt by, and the many contributions of the aforementioned regs to see that this is a place worth giving some slack, and some time to get things squared away. The history, and the friends we all have made here are too important to let the place go by the wayside.

Bear with us kids.........It will be done.

Salty

J3scribe, JDoeson69, Grathon and 5 others like this.
  16. Magge

Magge Yoda no more, just a friendly alpaca lover ! ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Movers & Shakers Power Poster The Alpaca Whisperer Phun Award Holder

Soo true ! :D

J3scribe and Salty Longshanks like this.
  17. HoratioHornblower

HoratioHornblower

I've definitely noticed positive changes today. Site is running lightning fast again. :)

Edit: Okay, not lightning fast, but faster than it has been recently.

Mango likes this.
  18. Mango

Mango Monica's #1 fan

Its gettin a whole lot faster! :)

19. jdaniels

jdaniels

Liked the oöd better.
    New post button never works anymore.

SimpleJack likes this.
  20. nicolass

nicolass

1+ for OLD skin ! and old forum...google loves speed too :)