1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Whatever happened last night?

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by S-type, Apr 8, 2008.

1. S-type

S-type Cogito, ergo sum Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member

Last night at about 10pm-ish the Forum was terribly sluggish, and then about an hour later it just folded! Was some work being done? Was there a fault? It would be nice to know!

2. rapids_x

rapids_x firebrigade

The pages didnt load yesterday around this hour, though it was my pc.

3. S-type

And it's happening again tonight - and there are only about 1500 people on the board! What's going on?

4. TKA1

TKA1 has erectile dysphunction

i see 4575 people on and am having no problems, and i see i'm posting only 10 minutes after you

5. Majesty9917

Majesty9917 To crush your enemies...see them driven before you BANNED ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member Meat & Potatoes Guy

a bunch of us in the chat thread were just having problems as well. I couldn't even connect to the forum for about 5 mins or so

6. Inuk

Inuk insert witty comment here ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

I thought it was my comp, cleaning it up as we speak.

7. S-type

When I made my post there were only 1512 on the board (I looked, expecting a vast number because of the sluggishness) and it had virtually ground to a halt - two members that I was PM-ing simply gave up, whereas now there are over 4800 and things are flowing again!

8. TKA1

TKA1 has erectile dysphunction

weird. sounds like something goofy was definitely going on

9. lil' wutz

lil' wutz U can't touch this ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun

i'm having similar problems since yesterday night.

10. Taipan

Taipan Mia San Mia Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Phun Award Holder

There were some server problems,but the problem should be fixed....

11. S-type

It happened again tonight, getting very sluggish, then freezing solid at about 10:48 (BST) and coming back up again at 10:55! Just trying to be informative!

12. lil' wutz

lil' wutz U can't touch this ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun

same here again, phun's very slow tonight.

13. cayne

cayne Guest

I'm not sure what causes these problems - but I'm aware of them. More than that...because the forum keeps sending me emails for EACH database error that occors. Means like 5000 mails in 10minutes...that rocks :D

I told the tech-guys about it...they are looking into it. Keep us posted if you notice any problems...

lisp.87 likes this.
  14. S-type

Similar problems last night (Tuesday 15th) at about 10.38 BST, the Forum froze for me for about eight or nine minutes (blank screens in Firefox - I tried other sites to ensure it was just Phun). Then it seemed to recover, and at about 11.15 it became sluggish again, before recovering without further problem.

15. lostboys

lostboys I was invited

hate to suggest it, but does the server have a virus. while i was surfing the forums yesterday my antivirus blocked a Virtumoundo virus. (or some name like that)

16. cayne

cayne Guest

I highly doubt that...maybe a link or a sig caused that problem.

17. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

don´t think that phun itself spreads viruses, too.

anyways - 8:13pm GMT (22:10 german summertime) - slow.

just for the record - if it´s only a true phun-server-issue (although there are no 6000 people on, just 3700....)
    not only i still don´t like the fact that 90% "guests" are blocking 10% signed-on members

maybe it´s a hoster-issue? too many bandwith killed on his connections? i doubt phun is the only site that company is hosting...

as for the data-base-error-e-mail-flood...

thanks for enabling three-letter-words-search and the update to 3.6.7.
    but the second recommended (required?) step would have been a database-reorganisation. maybe it´s time for that?

18. S-type

I think River's suggestion that the problem might be Host-based makes sense. If the problem had been Phun server-based we'd have experienced total relief from previous slowness problems with the installation of the additional server(s), whereas there has been little if any improvement in the critical 10pm-midnight (BST) period when sluggishness, freezes and database errors abound!

However, where that would leave us if it were true, I don't know!

19. cayne

cayne Guest

Of course they are hosting other sites too, but not on our servers. So that shouldn't effect us in any way. I rather think the vBulletin software isn't coded that well, to perfectly serve that huge amount of visitors. The guys over at the hosting company are not stupid, but I'll tell em again, that there are problems during a specific time period.

lisp.87 and S-type like this.
  20. S-type

But the host's external network may be shared via multiplexors by however many other sites it also hosts! (And that sharing might be on an equitable or non-equitable contention basis!) So if activities on one or more of these sites causes congestion on the host's network, that congestion will be experienced by all the sites sharing the host's network. In other words, is the host's network adequate?

Just a thought!