1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

YSIGet alternatives for OS X

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by AlferdPacker, Apr 5, 2005.

1. AlferdPacker

AlferdPacker

Mac Users -- I researched some alternatives to YSIGet. I haven't tryed any of them yet, but will do so and report back.

Speed Download from Yazsoft appears to be the highest rated download manager, with autoresume features in addition to (toggleable) download acceleration, but it's $20 shareware and the trial version is expireware, which sucks.

There's also Monica which is still in beta but it looks like it has the appropriate functionality, plus queueing, which could help with YSI and RS links.

Here's a link to some other download managers if you don't like Speed Download or Monica.

2. wtfazzhole

wtfazzhole Munchin on Pussy ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew

thanks for the tip. We will look into it.

3. I will check it out, when I borrow my gf's lap top.

4. wtfazzhole

thanks tommy i was hoping i can pawn it off to someone else. :D

5. I personally hate Mac's but my girlfriend has one because it's "cute", she uses it for school. But will see how those sites work.

6. linusnc

linusnc Short Pants White Boy ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member

7. jayhawk

jayhawk

Dude, mac rules. Its UNIX under there

8. Rotary

Rotary

Macs OWN!

9. AlferdPacker

AlferdPacker

Dudes... you are going to lose any platform religious wars... pick your battles better... the Mods have come down firmly on the Windows side.

10. wtfazzhole

Since when have we made a statement about prefering window's over mac? I just use windows because it is easier to get bootleg programs for windows than macs. :)

11. AlferdPacker

AlferdPacker

Umm...

Read up?

12. Let me explain myself so this does not turn into a mac vs. windows. There is nothing wrong with mac's but the stuff I am into doing leagally or illegally I can't do with macs. Also I can't get the programs I need on a mac. My girl friend owns a mac laptop and desk top and I bullshit on it from time to time.

13. AlferdPacker

AlferdPacker

I hear ya -- I use both and they each have their strengths.

I was just trying to defuse a religious platform war myself...

14. AlferdPacker

AlferdPacker

OK, well after nearly a week's testing of SpeedDownload 3.0, I'm not very impressed.

- It doesn't resume downloads from YSI that get halted.
    - It doesn't permit time-scheduled queueing, allowing one to setup a sequence of RS downloads.

The only usefulness it has is limiting downloads to one at a time, thereby reducing the risk of a YSI dropout.

This is not worth the $20 registration to enable use beyond the 14 days trial period.

I'll keep looking.